Help with how to mount this Kurt Vice to Gorton 9J

MattyP

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Sometime last year, a deal popped up for a Kurt vice for $200. It looks and operates very similar to the SCD640 Self-Centering Vice they sell now, but isn't badged as such (beside a Kurt stamp on one side). The big difference is that it doesn't have the through holes that are the primary method of mounting the SCD640. Given the SCD640 retails for $3500, I figured it was worth the risk in figuring out how to get it mounted.

I reached out to Kurt, and they believe it's an early prototype from the 70s, but said they didn't really have any resources for me. They recommended using toe clamps with vise keys (which the bottom does have slots for). My main issue is that it almost feels like my bed isn't big enough for this vice so I'm hoping folks can validate that for me (honestly didn't think it was a concern that I'd find a vice that was too big for this mill). My options as I see them:
  1. Mount it lengthwise. Downside is that I'd have to hang part of it off the bed to get access to one of the t-slots for a toe clamp (slid backwards or forward from the photo). Would clamping on only 1 side with vise keys be strong enough? Is there a clamp that would work in those outer channels?
  2. Mount it widthwise. Downside is that this hangs off the table by a lot, and my toe clamps would have to be mounted on the lip of the side, not the actual slots that seem to be designed for clamping.
  3. I could risk drilling through holes like the SCD640, but that risks ruining this vice since I don't know if those are solid chunks of metal.
  4. I could accept that I bought a vice that is too big for this bed and set it on a shelf until I either resell it or find a way to use it, and then look for something that will fit.
Appreciate any input. And for clarity, I'm very much new to the machining world, so I could be missing very obvious things.

Length-wise Mount:

20230501_094228.jpg

Width-wise Mount:

20230501_094140.jpg

Last edited:
That's a mighty big vise for that table.

"You know it balances on your head just like a
Mattress balances on a bottle of wine
Your brand new leopard-skin pill-box hat"

I might be inclined to convert it into cash and buy a more appropriately sized vise. It should bring more than you paid.
Not sure I'd want a self-centering vise as my primary.

Alternately,
1. make some ears that bolt into the side slots. Sort of semi-permanent tie-down clamps.
2. take it apart to see how it's built, then drill mounting holes through the bed.

Last edited:
Like the Farmer said when asked for directions, "You can't get there from here."

Sure, you can make it work and, IMO, it would be just the thing for "that one job". But it might be pretty frustrating for everyday work.

At a primal level, I resist selling good stuff like that. That's the surest way to trigger needing it. Shelve it. No prob. There's a dozen little vises on Amazon for notta lotta cash. Get TWO of them for that table and enjoy cutting. That vise will have its day.

It's just not today, is all.

I can't see much of a problem with it. Use toe clamps and get on with the program.

That is a vise I'd expect to see bolted to a CNC mill pallet. Too long for a manual. Maybe a more traditional patterned mill vise in 4 or 5 inch jaw size, mounted flush to the back of the table, would be more suitable.

Okay, just a thought here because I've never done anything like this: That vise is definitely too big for that mill, but it would be functional if it could be mounted in a conventional orientation. What about fabricating and welding ears onto the vise? Chime in, experts.

Regards

As noted previously, too big. Don’t really like self centering vises as I Like to use the fixed jaw for reference and repeatability. You could make an appliance to mount to the table and then mount the vise to that utilizing the four pockets with toe clamps and keys to locate on both the vise and appliance. My .02

Back