Help with D1-4 spindles?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
I notice that sometimes, when you remove a chuck with a D1-4 integrated mouning to put the 4 jaw on, it is very difficult to lock back in place. One of the mounting studs often doesn't want to engage.

Am I doing something wrong? Should there be some dry lubricant on the studs?

Are the studs not adjusted properly?

Is the D1 spindle temperamental?

In which direction is are the studs supposed to rotate (CW?) in order to lock down?

Could it be that when the threads were cut in the back of the chuck,they didn't go quite deep enough for the studs to bottom out ?

Thanks,

Nelson

I agree with Dave and will just add that my spindle will not even begin to engage the cut-outs in the studs, unless the chuck is very close to being flush with the spindle.
If you have an 1/8" gap or so it won't happen. I don't know if that is because I have my studs adjusted very short or what, but that's what I get. I also have to spend some time tapping all around the chuck and working each cam lock a bit at a time to get the chuck fully home and running true.

YMMV.

Hey Nelson,

That could be really dangerous if you're not locking that chuck on correctly.

You need to follow up on this and be sure your pins are adjusted correctly to get the right
cam locking action when you mount your chucks.

No the pins are not just turned all the way into the chuck to the bottom of the tapped hole.

Each pin should be adjusted (by a full turn each time) in or out of the chuck back until you find the proper pin length for your spindle to lock on them. The pins are then held in place via a SHCS and never touched again.

Your cam locks should properly fall into a range of about 120 to 180 degrees or so of CW motion to lock the pins.
There should be an "over-center" feel to the lock up.

Another thing is to put a witness mark, say a center punch pip, on both the chuck back and spindle, and there by always put the chuck pins into the same holes on your spindle. This is for repeatable accuracy as well as correct cam locking.

Get this right. A launched chuck can kill someone.
If you need any help I'm not too far away to give you a hand with it some evening.

G'luck,
PaulS

Back