help with amodel 50 index vertical end mill

mikewofford

Registered
Registered
I'm looking for a booklet for a index model 50 mill.When l boughht it it came with a Bridgeport J 1 head.
On the right hand side of the table there is a casting that has 2 holes in it. Was this part of an automatic advance on this particular machine?

Pictures attached...I hope.

I don't see any pics. The table power feed on that machine was powered by a motor mounted on the pedestal. I think if you look on lathes.uk you can see pics of the setup. I don't think power feed was standard equip on that machine. You could probably mount a servo unit with a little bit of adapting.

Chuck

Re: help with a model 50 index vertical end mill

I am looking at taking some play out of the table. Any suggestions?

Although your machine may not have been equipped with a power feed, it should have a handwheel on each end of the table. The play in your table could be a couple of things. The gibs could be loose or there could be wear in your screw and nut. I don't know if that model has a split nut that can be adjusted. I sold one like that about 4 months ago, but I never had the table off it. The index machines are very smooth when they're right. I like the gib set up a lot better than bridgeport. If yours is like the 645 I had, it has gibs on both ends of the table. My old index worked smoother than the newer Kondia I have now. What spindle taper does yours have?

Chuck

Back