[How-To] Help with Alliant mill oil

Mheaton92

Registered
Registered
I have a new to me Alliant mill. From what I can tell it is almost identical to the Sharp LMV-42. I have a picture from the manual that shows oil cups and zerk fittings. My question is it says to use shell tonna 32 in all of them? My understanding is that is a way lube. In the picture some say grease and some say oil, is the a way grease? Can someone set me straight on what to put in here?
f4cb24c04bccb39f238d8d9308571640.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like a misprint, oil is oil and grease is grease, the Shell Tonna series are indeed way oil, not grease.

Glad you posted because I've also felt the instructions were a bit poorly worded...so I'm going to piggy-back on the thread. Here's the card on my Alliant:
PXL_20221010_220832762.jpg

And these are the oil cups / zerk:
PXL_20221010_220932485.jpg

Parts of the instructions never made any sense to me:
  • "Left oil cup..." ??? Cups B, D, and E are all on the left side of the machine. My best guess is that they meant "LIFT oil cup..." ????
  • "Right oil cup..." There isn't any cup on the right-hand side.
To-date I've used Mobil DTE Heavy-Medium (ISO 68) in A and on the spindle bar, Mobil Light (ISO 32) in everything else. Corrections?

@Mheaton92 - What year is your Alliant?

Glad you posted because I've also felt the instructions were a bit poorly worded...so I'm going to piggy-back on the thread. Here's the card on my Alliant:
View attachment 422958

And these are the oil cups / zerk:
View attachment 422959

Parts of the instructions never made any sense to me:
  • "Left oil cup..." ??? Cups B, D, and E are all on the left side of the machine. My best guess is that they meant "LIFT oil cup..." ????
  • "Right oil cup..." There isn't any cup on the right-hand side.
To-date I've used Mobil DTE Heavy-Medium (ISO 68) in A and on the spindle bar, Mobil Light (ISO 32) in everything else. Corrections?

@Mheaton92 - What year is your Alliant?

I actually don’t know the model or year. I was talking with a sharp parts rep today about getting the backlash wrench and he said it is the same as the sharp LMV42. I assume 1984 but that is purely speculation because the serial number just happens to have 1984 in it. It’s 30619841.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check the back of the machine by the ram dovetails - mine has a small placard w/ the year & month of manufacture.

Back