Help with a Spider

paynerd

Registered
Registered
Hey all - I'm about to test out my skills with a lathe. All I know about them is its something that spins. haha I feel like I've watched about every video and read about every forum out there about lathes. Here is my dilemma.....

I want to practice chambering barrels, I have a Precision Matthews coming soon. I need a spider for it. I've watched all the videos and feel like I can make one but I don't have access to a milling machine. My question(s)... 1. Is there a design that someone has seen that doesn't require a milling machine? OR 2. Is there a website that I can buy one that will work with my machine? OR 3. Is there someone out there that really likes to build them that I could pay to make me one? ANY help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Pretty sure you can make a spider attachment without needing a milling machine. A drill press with vise would be helpful

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum @paynerd ! What lathe do you have coming? Do you have a drill press? I'm a beginner also, about two years playing with my machines now. I have never built a spider but they look easy enough. I'm sure you can build one with just a lathe, you would be able to build a nicer one if you had a mill.

Tim

Welcome to the Forum @paynerd ! What lathe do you have coming? Do you have a drill press? I'm a beginner also, about two years playing with my machines now. I have never built a spider but they look easy enough. I'm sure you can build one with just a lathe, you would be able to build a nicer one if you had a mill.

Tim
Thanks. I’m getting the PM-1440HVT-2. I do have a drill press. I didn’t know if it would have enough power to work.

You can chamber accurately without a spider. Many, many bughole guns have been chambered on a steady rest. Until recent Asian imports started coming in with oversized spindle bores, all barrels were done that way. I have a big ol' lathe and I run the steady AND I don't use a floating reamer holder, either. There are good supporting arguments on all sides, as long as it shoots. Just sayin'. Congratulations on the new lathe purchase, and enjoy making chips. And if you haven't read it yet, John L. Hinnant's book is worth it's weight in Lapua brass.

Thanks for the info! I was wondering if a barrel could be chambered without a spider. I ordered the true bore alignment system which I figured would help. I’ll check out that book. Thanks again!

Last edited:
I tried the TBAS on my 1340GT but had vibration. He took it back and had no vibration on his larger machines. They work for most everyone and work very well.

I made a spider using the lathe which involves basic machining. Large diameter heavy walled tubing, true up the ends, turned the inside to diameter and drill/tap four holes for bolts. I drilled the ends of each bolt and pressed in brass for soft tips. Very basic spider but works great. Adding the magnet for the speed indicator was the most involved part.

. Is there a design that someone has seen that doesn't require a milling machine?
Yes, and it is easier than it looks, but...
Thanks. I’m getting the PM-1440HVT-2. I do have a drill press. I didn’t know if it would have enough power to work.
All you are going to use your drill press for is drilling a bunch of #7 holes and tapping them for 1/4-20.
Many, many bughole guns have been chambered on a steady rest.
This is the way I chamber my barrels. it works fine. The secret to doing it accurately is to use your 4 jaw chuck to accurately indicate the muzzle, and then use your indicator to set up your steady rest. If your a a super newbie, just turn a piece of stock to the same OD as your barrel, drag your steady rest over and set it up on that, then slide it over to the tailstock, and set your barrel. foolproof, but it will get you there with a little work.
P.S. I don't ream under power. The lathe is a big holder for your barrel for the reaming operation.

The harder part is threading your barrel well. *that* takes patience and skill.

My favourite gunsmith friend always uses a spider. He loves it. He was also a champion benchrest shooter.

Back