Help With A Hammond #4 Voltage

You have lost me with the t numbers.is there a diagram you could refer me to.wiring from drum switch is marked L1..L2..etc. thanks Phil

sorry,
the T(x) connections are motor connections ( power to the motor)
L(x) ar line connections (power in) i'm going by the low voltage connection chart in Post #6 of this thread

Both sides of motor wiring tag have been scratched through.can't see in photos.motor only has three wires.thanks very much for sharing your knowledge .Phil

Hi Phil,
do you have 3 phase power or are you trying to start the unit with single phase power?
i seem to remember you running it on single phase.

if this is the case,
2 wires of the motor will get single phase supply
the 3rd leg will get a momentary switch and one side of the start capacitor
the other capacitor pole will need to be supplied with a jumper from either single phase pole to provide the starting capacitance to get it started

here is a diagram that will help out:
14870-ea52a353e35a2dc44ec1f6524b70f5f2.jpg

note: this system uses a magnetic contactor, capacitor, fuses, and momentary switches to run a 3 phase motor on single phase supply.
the design could be modified for use with a manual motor starter and a capacitor,
Here is How:

follow L2 on the drawing above,
it gets a leg of single phase (L2) and supplies the start capacitor.
the momentary switch is on the backside of the capacitor. the switch controls the application for the capacitors charge . the momentary switch will dump the capacitor charge into the motor through the 3rd leg.
through your 3 pole switch, 2 legs will get connected to 2 motor poles, 1 switch pole will get a jumper from wire to power the the start capacitor. from the start capacitor you'll connect a wire to the momentary switch, from the momentary switch you'll connect directly to the 3rd leg.

after the motor starts (and you take your finger off the start switch)
the 3rd leg should show voltage when tested against another phase or to ground
the power disconnect will be responsible for cutting off current flow to the system

i hope that made sense, if not i'm happy to try explain differently

Last edited:
Thanks for your help.have learned a lot from your replies.yes on single phase..which if any of contractors in picture would work ? When I enlarge picture of diagram the writing is blurry.any way to enlarge?tried clicking on photo.thanks Phil

image.jpeg

Back