Help With A Hammond #4 Voltage

L

Lordbeezer

Forum Guest
Register Today
Hello..picked up a Hammond #4 grinder.the motor tag is missing.tag on back of machine has wiring for low or high voltage.motor has 3 wires.looks like new inside.single phase or 3 phase?voltage?was owned by US government..breaker box has 3 terminals.line/load..not marked..line/load...has forward off reverse switch..this machine has shown me how much I don't know..any ideas..thanks

if you can post pictures that would help out.
are the wires available colored?
a single phase motor may have a capacitor on its outside diameter
three phase motors running on 3 phase, will not usually use a capacitor

some possible problems..
115v single phase will be low voltage, 220/230v single phase will be considered high voltage
220/230v 3 phase will be low voltage, 440/460 would be considered high voltage

I'll try to post pictures tomorrow .the three wires coming off windings are all black.no capacitor.thanks for your reply

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I'm guessing this is a 3 wire 3 phase motor..please advise if you think it is or not.gonna try to post pictures for the first time.thanks

Don't know why pictures posted twice

it's a 3 phase motor.
it appears that someone has tried to scratch out the low voltage connection diagram, it may be indicative of a high voltage rewind- but i can't say for sure
the best way is to hook up some 3 phase power to it and see if she spins up on the supply you have available.
if the grinder doesn't spin up, you may need to get a 3 phase transformer, or otherwise produce 3 phases in the correct voltage

Thanks for the info..how is the cheapest,maybe not the best way to put 3 phase to this to see if motor works.vfd?converter? Thanks.rather be working on my 10k gap bed but couldn't pass this grinder up

A static converter or rpc can easily be made from spare components and a spare 3 phase motor
I'd consider a rpc due to the unknown voltage of the motor you are trying to start
There is a possibility of damaging a sensitive VFD with mismatching motor voltage and current requirements

Last edited:
Back