Help Wiring Alton Bradley for Monarch 16"

vapidorg

Registered
Registered
First post, but have used this forum as a valuable resource for a long time, but cannot find a way to get this thing turned on.

Got a 1945 Monarch 16" CW that a shopmate bought off an auction. Trying to get it turned on with my single phase 220. Not sure what power source was pushing it previously. Plenty of 220 outlets but was not really wanting to add another 3 phase from my panel. I'm just not clear from the label when omitting T2 and L2, where do they go? I'm pretty good at most things, but pretty terrible when reading wiring diagrams.

Across the back of the box there is a handwritten White/Black/Red respectively from left to right.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Image from iOS (12).jpg
    Image from iOS (12).jpg
    697.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Image from iOS (11).jpg
    Image from iOS (11).jpg
    655.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Image from iOS (7).jpg
    Image from iOS (7).jpg
    852 KB · Views: 27
First off, you should take a look at the data plate on the motor. That will tell you whether it's single phase or 3 phase. The White/Red/Black notation seems to imply 3 phase.

Generally speaking, the Monarch lathes utilize three phase motors. If you want to run it, you will need
either a 3 phase line to the lathe or use some method of generating three phase from a single phase
line. Take a look at the motor tag and see what kind of power it requires first of all. One common way
to power a three phase lathe is to use an RPC(rotary phase converter) which is powered with single phase 220V.
Another possibility is to use a Phase-A-Matic unit to generate a mediocre three phase or to use a VFD(variable
frequency drive) which is an electronic unit that generates three phase power. My choice was to use an RPC
and I have been very happy with that choice. I used an old three phase motor to build up my RPC and it works
fine and the price low. I would be glad to help you along with an RPC build if you go that route. Maybe your
lathe came with an RPC maybe, I don't know. Is there a separate motor that came with the lathe(RPC motor)?
Looking at your photos, the lathe runs on three phase power.

Good luck with your endeavor and welcome to Hobby Machinist!

It looks like the coil in your contactor is 440v 60cy

Back