Help us to "find ourselves"!

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Dear Friends,

As someone recently quite aptly pointed out, we are a new site, trying to find our "identity".

You can help us do just that.

Please introduce yourself in the Welcome Center, give us some idea of your interests, and tell us how this site can help you as a home shop machinist. We see ourselves as an "online" friendly home machinist discussion group, a low-key place where people can discuss various topics related to machining in a stress-free atmosphere, much like discussing something over a beer, or cup of coffee.

Your suggestions are welcomed!

Tell us what we are doing wrong, and what we are doing right- so that we can learn and evolve.

Thanks very much!

Best,

Nelson

I'm a newcomer with a newcomers impression of the forum -- and -- I like what I'm seeing -- mostly...

Reading through Paddys thoughts/suggestions, I'll have to say they pretty well sum up my impressions also - top two being - proliferation of stickies and of sections.

PS: Oh, and more new members ;)

I think for 6 or 7 months this site has come a long way, we just have to get more newcomers involved, which I think Nelson is trying to do with his questions and topics that he posts almost daily. There is always room to improve, and it will come with time. He is not afraid to start new things to try out to see if it works, and thats the was it should be. I think this site will look better in 1 year or less. The word is spreading as I see people joining from all over. Keep up the good work!!!
Paul

I can understand posting several questions in each of the sections in order to "get the ball rolling", and try and stir up more participation.
But asking a question and then answering your OWN question with a 5 paragraph explanation in the 3rd or 4th post seems counter-productive to me, as it shuts down any further discussion. Either post a question, or a "how to" - but don't do both in the same thread. ($0.02)

Personally I'm glad to see 2 separate lathe and mill sections. I've noticed that the USA sections see much more traffic than the import sections. I like the fact that they are segregated which helps to keep any "bashing" to a minimum. While quite rare (so far) I have even seen hints of Made in the USA-itis here as well. Merging the two has always been a problem, and I believe always will be. Too many alpha male wanna-bee's out there.

No comment on those "other" places.... 8)

Guys,

Thank you all for the comments, which I have considered carefully.

Most of the comments were in the vein of things we should correct, rather than what new features or content we could offer that would make this place particularly useful. I would like to see some comments that explore what new things we should offer, or what the focus of our content ought to be, in order to better serve an educational purpose.

I agree with you that many of the criticisms were well thought out, and I have already made some changes in terms of the number of stickies in this section. The positive thing about stickies is that the information does get noticed, rather than buried. Often, people don't want to search through a forum to get information, and stickies put the info out there. One way to get around this is for me to assemble a "Noteworthy threads" sticky that lists all the especially useful threads - I will be working on this shortly. Another way of organizing information that was suggested is to post a sticky with "Important links"- I will work on this shortly as well.

As for my throwing out new questions, the reason that I do that is not to indicate that the site is mine, but to stimulate discussions, build up a body of information on a very new site quickly, and hold interest. Many people who visit the site look for "new posts" since their last visit, and this gives them something new. My experience, and I could be wrong, is that when users visit and there is no new content, it causes readers to lose interest, and leave. A lot of these questions are basic, and hence easy for experienced machinists like yourselves to answer, yet, to a newcomer to the hobby, the answers are important and essential.

As for the separation of US/Imports into separate forums, I believe that, based on what I have seen on other forums, it is best to segregate the afiocionados of both types of equipment. Both types of machines serve their users well, and produce excellent results when used by a skilled operator. Owners of both American and foreign equipment feel a strong loyalty to their machines. This site does not favor one over the other, as others do, hence, it makes sense that each have its own forum.

Re new members- we absolutely need new members who wish to participate and share their experiences, their questions, their backgrounds, and their projects. If you know someone who would like to share, please invite them to join us!

Best,

Nelson

Thank you for the additional comments, which I have also considered.

Replacing stickies in the forums will be a topic entitled "Noteworthy Threads" - Check here first for helpful information and tips!" . There is one in this forum at : http://hobby-machinist.com/index.php?topic=1957.0.

The thread is open, so that additional threads may be listed by URL.

There will be one sticky in the future for "Helpful Links to Resources", which will contain a listing of useful and informative sites.

I will be refraining from starting threads as per the comments I have received. I hope that useful discussions can be initiated by the members and moderators instead.

It would still be helpful to know what ideas for new content or focused content you would find helpful. Also what new features we can offer that would be useful to the home shop community.

Thanks again!

Nelson

I will be refraining from starting threads as per the comments I have received.

Nelson, I really dont want to see this... I already had reservations about including making this as part of my comments, limiting them to the two (stickies/topics)

After reading your thoughts about why, and your reasoning behind the postings, I think they are very valid. Reaching out to 'newbies' with seemingly (to some) arcane postings has merit, I was only too recently in that situation and can relate a lot of that - now - basic information.

And, much appreciate you working to continually improve the site...

Re: Help us to

Pacer link=topic=1946.msg12615#msg12615 date=1304176971 said:
I will be refraining from starting threads as per the comments I have received.

Nelson, I really dont want to see this... I already had reservations about including making this as part of my comments, limiting them to the two (stickies/topics)

After reading your thoughts about why, and your reasoning behind the postings, I think they are very valid. Reaching out to 'newbies' with seemingly (to some) arcane postings has merit, I was only too recently in that situation and can relate a lot of that - now - basic information.

And, much appreciate you working to continually improve the site...

Bill:

I just want to show my responsiveness to constructive criticism, without taking it personally, and my willingness to change things for the better. I read, and take all of your comments seriously. But I need you to let me know if you think that something that someone else objects to is actually helpful.

I put this site up for all of us, not just me, and I don't want to run it like a "my way or the highway" kind of place. We all know that there are places like that, who needs another? Sometimes, there is information one of you may need, that I don't need, but I post it because one of you may one day need it.

Older sites have a more established "body of knowledge" on the basics. We don't because we are new. I see some of these questions coming up on other forums, and the answer is "we've been over that at least 10 times, can't you use the search feature?". That isn't a very hospitable response. It's like attending a class, and asking the teacher a question, and being told "look it up!" At the same time, people often have to go to 10 different places they Googled to get answers- that is a hassle. It seems nicer to have all the info in one place at your fingertips. That is what I am trying to accomplish.

One solution is to get more advanced guys here, guys like Lane. He said he prefers another forum because the guys there play with real machines, but if we can get a group of more advanced machinists here, they can have their own level 10 discussions, and let us newbies have our level 2 or 3 discussions and everyone is happy.

What do you think?

Nelson

Last edited by a moderator:

Paddy OFernichur link=topic=1946.msg12660#msg12660 date=1304198999 said:
Help me understand about the intent you have here, Nelson. Is it that you want as much tolerance and acceptance for a guy who has just bought a 7x12 Chinese lathe and doesn't know how to turn it on, as one might have for a guy with 34 years of making chips? Or are you looking for guys like me to banter primarily with other long-experienced so that the inexperienced can just watch and learn? I can have a "level 10" discussion, but I can have just as much fun sharing within a level 2 discussion.

Ideally, both can happen here, with experts who are tolerant of newbies, and can function on both level of discussion- helping newbies without beating them up, and discussing more arcane issues without having to be right.

It is as though you had a neighbor, let's call him John. John is a CPA. He deals with a lot of stress at work, especially around tax time, so his wife said "get a hobby". So he bought himself an old South Bend lathe, and is determined to learn how to use it. The guy has little or no experience in mechanical things. But he knows you are a machinist, so he asks you for help. And you begin to give him lessons. Sure, he is clueless, and makes many mistakes, but you enjoy helping someone learn what you do for a living. In a way, it's kind of flattering that someone wants to learn your craft.

This is a real-time encounter. I would wager that most of the people on the internet who are experienced machinists have helped out a clueless friend of neighbor in this context. Or a young person. Let's face it, it keeps the trade alive.

But the internet is a funny place. The type of tolerance you see in real time doesn't always happen. On some forums, imported equipment is junk. People who buy it are idiots. It is forbidden to even talk about it. Home shop equipment is similarly forbidden. If you don't know how to make chips and do it the way the pundits say, you are trashed. Chest-pounding and one-upmanship predominate these forums.

It's sad, because the kind of skills these experts have, unless taught to others, may die out.

So the answer to your question is, I would primarily like to see experts help newbies without having to make them feel small. If it becomes dull to always be speaking at level 2, then they can talk at level 10 while newbies listen and learn.

But certainly, there are other areas that will hold people's interests as well. We want to explore those areas too.

Best,

Nelson

mnmh link=topic=1946.msg12666#msg12666 date=1304200801 said:
My point is, I think, that presentation is often more important then the content, if that makes any sense.
Absolutely Ed.

There is a huge difference between sharing knowledge & experience, and having it rammed down your throat. In the midst of a level 2 discussion that is going well, a level 10 drops in and gives a dissertation on why it's better to do it this way instead of that way. Both methods may accomplish an end result that is acceptable.
How it's presented is critical IMO. I've received a lot of help from several "level 10's" over the years. Also received a lot of grief as well. If I'm expected to accept the "It's my way or the highway attitude" along with the information - no thank you, I'll take up stamp collecting.

If it's presented as "You might want to try this...." I'm all ears. It's all in the delivery, which is next to impossible to read correctly on a computer monitor most of the time. While I appreciate the idea of getting all the levels co-existing in one place, I don't go looking for level 10 professional help from a hobby or home forum. I'm looking for input from someone on the lower rungs of the ladder where I am. It seems to be getting harder and harder to find these days since they are all being forced into the closet at the "other" places.

Back