Help turning radial half circle

lowlife

Registered
Registered
New to using my lathe and low on tools at this time. I am looking to turn a radial half moon shape or to put it another way I need to put a half circle groove around the circumference of some round aluminum stock. 5/16 or 3/8 either can and will do. I could hand grind some hss in a rounded fashion but I doubt I could make it perfect. Any ideas or clarifications? I wish to make a fixture for squaring the rear wheel on a motorcycle. Thanks as always for the help

Last edited by a moderator:
Sooooooo how do I get rid of the underline?? The underline edit button doesn't seem to get rid of it.

Figured it out. It was something odd with my keyboard, now back to youre regularly scheduled problem

Sooooooo how do I get rid of the underline?? The underline edit button doesn't seem to get rid of it.
Select the text and hit the underline button. That's how I edited your post above

But back to the OP. Not exactly sure about the question? Are you looking to machine a groove in the OD of some ally? The best way to do that is exactly as you think. Grind a form tool and plunge cut. You can spend as long as you like grinding the form tool to get it just right. Because when you do it will cut exactly the shaped groove you need.

Cheers Phil

Silver braze a piece of drill or reamer blank, of suitable size, into or on a suitable holder and use in the tool post as with any other turning tool.

Gene

How about a router bit? If you can figure out a way to hold it, or cut it apart, something like this should do:

routerbit.png

Thx for the input from all. I will look outside the box so to speak. Yes i wish to turn a groove in some aluminum radially.

Back