help please

1917modelt

Registered
Registered
i just purchased a 101 craftsman 6"machine lathe
i have the countershaft and the motor hooked up
and everything runs good, manually .....
as soon as i try to engage the carriage for auto feed, the unit locks up, and the motor wont turn.
seems that something is locked up
even when i flip the left side lever to engage the carriage feed it locks up
what am i doing wrong ?

One thing to check is the thread dial. If it is engaged to the lead screw and seized it will lock things up. Back it away for the lead screw by loosing the square head bolt.

David

with the lathe turned off and the right/left feed toggle in neutral, can you turn the gear on the end of the feed screw? Perhaps there's a gear jammed.

maybe if i send you a photo of my gear setup, you might be able to see the problem ?

The FWD-OFF-REV control on the left end of the headstock is called the Tumbler. The cast bracket that the change gears on the left end are mounted on is called either the Change Gear Bracket or the Banjo. I'm assuming that the motor runs and the spindle turns when the tumbler is in the center ODD position, but that if you put it in either FWD or REV the motor stalls.

Loosen the pinch bolt and drop the banjo down as though you were going to change the gear setup. Engage FWD and then REV with the tumbler and confirm that the motor runs. Put on surgical gloves (the gears should have a lot of grease on them). If the motor didn't run in the previous step, one of the two tumbler gears is locked up. Fix it.

If the motor did run, rock or rattle each gear on the banjo back and forth until you find one that won't move. Fix it.

Back