HELP PLEASE

Ranger

Registered
Registered
I am just trying to learn this metal working thing and some times I find I don't have a clue how to do something
so I Google and read forums and still get no where sometimes so here is my issue
I have attached a picture of the handle end of a 1/2" drive speed wrench, the knurled handle spins freely
but does not come off,
how is this done?
how do you take it apart?
does any one have a picture and description of how I can make one , what the procedure is?
001M.JPG

001M.JPG

That could have a concealed retaining circlip inside the handle, it will shear if you punch the handle off. Unlikely I think.
Or more likely, the tapered section at the end of the knurling has been rolled down over a raised collar.

Cheers Phil

You were right the first time Phil. My Matco speed handle had to be fixed. The end of the rod is tapered. The clip is inserted into an oversized groove in the knurled handle. When you push the handle together the clip will ride up the taper and expand. There is a mating groove on the rod part. When the clip reaches it, it closes up again securing the parts together. This is the way the Matco Rep. explained it to me.

"Billy G"

I am just trying to learn this metal working thing and some times I find I don't have a clue how to do something
so I Google and read forums and still get no where sometimes so here is my issue
I have attached a picture of the handle end of a 1/2" drive speed wrench, the knurled handle spins freely
but does not come off,
how is this done?
how do you take it apart?
does any one have a picture and description of how I can make one , what the procedure is?
View attachment 93385

Making the knurl sleeve shouldn't be hard to make. That is a diamond pattern knurl. You can cut shallow grooves instead. A good plating shop can hard chrome the parts.

The inside diameter is a slip fit, .001 to .002 larger than the shaft diameter. The end cap can be held in place with a socket head flat screw in the end. Draw up a simple sketch how you want it to look as a guide.

Make some chips, let us know how it comes out

Back