1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Help Organizing My Gerstner O52

Discussion in 'A BEGINNER'S FORUM (Learn How To Machine Here!)' started by 100LL, Mar 8, 2016.

1. 100LL

100LL Active Member Active Member

City:
    Houston
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

Love to hear tips and see pictures of your machinist toolboxes.

I picked up and restored a Gerstner O52 toolbox. However, I have no idea what is good practice as far as what goes where.

I'm sure some experienced small shop machinists have learned some good practices, and would like to see what works and what doesn't.

Thanks

IMG_4893.JPG

2. TommyD

TommyD Active Member Active Member

City:
    Salem
    State:
    Connecticut

-Return to Top-

Machinery's Handbook in the fat upper middle drawer. I put my mics and dial caliper in the long, thin upper drawer. I guess it depends on what uou have and where it all fits to your liking.

3. ch2co

ch2co United States Grumpy Old Man H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Center of Colorado 5420ft
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

I use Kennedy's in the shop, my Gerstner ended up being usurped by my (much) better half to be used as her jewelry box. Perfect size
    and looks great in the bedroom. Plus it lifted my machine shop efforts into something she could relate to and appreciate. Priceless.

CHuck the grumpy old guy

Bob Korves and planeflyer21 like this.
  4. NCjeeper

NCjeeper United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Charlotte
    State:
    North Carolina

-Return to Top-

I have a harbor freight Gerstner wannabe. I will take some pics tomorow of it when Im in the shop.

5. 4gsr

4gsr Global Moderator Staff Member H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Victoria
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

The smaller deep drawer on the left of the MH drawer was commonly used for your dial indicators and attachments. That's what I was told by my dad and that's how his 052 was laid out

6. Wreck™Wreck

Wreck™Wreck United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Riverton
    State:
    New Jersey

-Return to Top-

It's belongs to you so put the tools where you like them, why is this a question?

7. RIMSPOKE

RIMSPOKE United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    WAKE FOREST
    State:
    North Carolina

-Return to Top-

Love to hear tips and see pictures of your machinist toolboxes.
    I picked up and restored a Gerstner O52 toolbox. However, I have no idea what is good practice as far as what goes where.

I HAVE TWO GERSTNERS .
    MY HOME BOX IS AN OAK O-52 .
    MY WORK BOX WAS A WALNUT W-82 UNTIL I WAS LAID OFF .
    FOR NOW , THEY ARE BOTH AT HOME .

DSC_0689.JPG

DSC_0690.JPG

8. brav65

brav65 Active User Active Member

City:
    Phoenix
    State:
    Arizona

-Return to Top-

Please send it to me with your tooling, once I have it organized 100% correctly I will return it immediately!* :aok:

*caution, suffers from severe tooloholic syndrome and has been known to say anything to add to his tool collection

9. dlane

dlane Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Oroville
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Might have to make one or two of those . Yup a place for everything, and everything in place is good.
    You'll figure it out.

10. Bill Gruby

Bill Gruby United States Global Moderator Staff Member H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Bristol
    State:
    Connecticut

-Return to Top-

The tools are yours as said already. You will be the one using them. Put them in an order of use. The center drawer on one of min has tap sets in it. I have a small one for just taps and dies. Another small one for drills and another for end mills etc. I have 3 small ones and 3 large ones. Yet I have enough stuff to fill half a dozen more. Bottom line, your box, you set it up your way.

"Billy G"

11. Rick Berk

Rick Berk United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Nashville
    State:
    Indiana

-Return to Top-

BILL, WHEN ARE YOU PLANNING ON SENDING ME A SET OF GERSTNER PLANS THAT YOU PROMISED SO I CAN BUILD ONE FOR MYSELF. I'M NOT GOING TO LIVE FOREVER.

12. Silverbullet

Silverbullet Active Member Active Member

City:
    Marlton
    State:
    New Jersey

-Return to Top-

Best way is put the things you use most I the drawers on your left side or right if it's where you grab the quickest . I always kept a pad and pencil and pins markers in the top , along with my calculator . Everything else was just preference.

13. benmychree

benmychree United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Saint Helena
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

This is how I organized my 52 box;
    Top till: things too big for drawers, 12" vernier caliper, inside mike set, vee blocks, telescoping gage set, dial indicator in box.
    top right drawer: thread gages and sharpening gages.
    second left drawer: center punches and scribers and similar tools.
    third left drawer: pin vise set, adjustable parallel set, radius gages, special mikes.
    top right drawer: calipers and dividers
    second right drawer: scales and rules up to 6" and similar items, set of wire gage drills.
    third right drawer: 1-2-3 blocks, screw jacks, small vee blocks.
    upper long drawer, most of my mikes, outside up to 6", depth mikes, and standards; all are separated by 1/4" hard felt, carved out to fit each tool.
    second long drawer: Scales longer than 6" and straightedges, combination square set, and another set of telescoping gages.
    third long (bottom drawer): trammel set, 12" vernier gear caliper, taper parallel set, parallel clamps and a LOT of other misc. stuff.
    Center drawer: Machinery's Handbook, ed. early 1960s.
    Please note that I do not keep any cutting tools in my box, other than a set of wire gage drills #60-80 in my box; I like to keep the felt lining fairly clean, not oil soaked; keep cutting tools elsewhere!
    I keep most of my dial indicator stuff in a card file drawer that is handy to the shop, I keep my Gerstner box, which cost me $76 back in the day, inside a separate office room, along with all the other measuring tools that do not fit in the 52, most of which are in their own wood boxes. This arrangement keeps rust at bay during the winter/ spring; I do keep other mikes at hand and often used tools close at hand, mostly in a cabinet that I made for use in front of the lathe, it has one large drawer for small tools and shelves for accessories below and a rack for Aloris tooling behind it.
    I may put up some pictures if any of 'yalls want to see them.

Ulma Doctor likes this.
  14. Ulma Doctor

Ulma Doctor Infinitely Curious Active Member

City:
    Tracy
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

I'm sure the folks would all love to see your stuff John!

15. benmychree

City:
    Saint Helena
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

I don't know if my camera has enough memory for ALL my stuff!

16. fretsman

fretsman Active User Active Member

City:
    Central Pa
    State:
    Pennsylvania

-Return to Top-

grins........

17. benmychree

City:
    Saint Helena
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Here goes nothing! I have much much. more on open shelves. It's taken me about 52 years to accumulate what I have. tool box pics 002.JPG tool box pics 003.JPG tool box pics 004.JPG tool box pics 005.JPG tool box pics 006.JPG tool box pics 007.JPG tool box pics 008.JPG tool box pics 009.JPG tool box pics 010.JPG tool box pics 011.JPG tool box pics 012.JPG tool box pics 013.JPG tool box pics 014.JPG tool box pics 015.JPG tool box pics 016.JPG tool box pics 017.JPG tool box pics 002.JPG tool box pics 003.JPG tool box pics 004.JPG tool box pics 005.JPG tool box pics 006.JPG tool box pics 007.JPG tool box pics 008.JPG tool box pics 009.JPG tool box pics 010.JPG tool box pics 011.JPG tool box pics 012.JPG tool box pics 013.JPG tool box pics 014.JPG tool box pics 015.JPG tool box pics 016.JPG tool box pics 017.JPG tool box pics 002.JPG tool box pics 002.JPG tool box pics 003.JPG tool box pics 002.JPG tool box pics 003.JPG tool box pics 004.JPG tool box pics 005.JPG tool box pics 006.JPG tool box pics 007.JPG tool box pics 008.JPG tool box pics 009.JPG tool box pics 010.JPG tool box pics 011.JPG tool box pics 012.JPG tool box pics 013.JPG tool box pics 014.JPG tool box pics 015.JPG tool box pics 016.JPG tool box pics 017.JPG tool box pics 002.JPG

18. benmychree

City:
    Saint Helena
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

It looks like some duplicates sunk in there, and also there several pics of what is in the lower unit that were not described in the earlier text.

19. chips&more

chips&more United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Danville
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

You did repeat pics, that’s cheating, LOL. And you are just starting off! That’s nothing! You need to go out this weekend and get more stuff! How are you going to be a tolaholic with just that little bit of stuff! You have a long ways to go, get busy! But seriously looks great!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  20. benmychree

City:
    Saint Helena
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

I don't need to get out, I have E Bay! I had a machine shop for over 40 years when I sold it, I brought home a lot of stuff that the buyer did not want or need (my call); there was much there that was not appraised, simply went with the business, so I did not feel so bad about "thinning" things out.