Help!!! Non Emergency

Thanks guys. I'll hang onto for now. Guess my first job is to figure out what I have so I can figure out what to do with it.

My condolences , I lost my father about 20 years ago and I still miss him. I too have all his woodworking tools and mechanics tools, I would say if your not going to use them for a long stretch I think you should give them a good coating of grease on all bare metals then I'd lay wax paper on top then use a tarp even indoors it will help protect from condensation rust . I've done that to cast iron table saws and they clean up nice with no bad rust or discolor of the metal. Remember rust loves to eat .

Hi Rick

I'm not a sentimental person so that part I can't comment on. Myself I have wanted a lathe & mill since I was a kid. It has always amazed me. I was able to get some machines last year which are smaller then I would like but was what I could afford.

Since you don't know of you would ever use them or sure you even want them since you don't have any knowledge about them I'd suggest some YouTube. About 4 hours of it would be a good start. I really like Pete (toolbelcane), Ken Finner, Tom's Technics, & oxtoolco. I'm not much at spelling so those could be of but you should be able to figure them out.

After watching those you should have a better understanding of what you can do & what those tools are for. Then you can better decide what you want to do from there. As for a first project the best thing to make is chips & hope that the part left behind in the machine becomes something useful. ;) If not put another piece of stock in & keep making more chips until you start finding that there is nice parts inside that stock.

It might sound simplistic but I still eww & aww my chips sometimes in amassment of how they come out more then the part itself.

Back