Help! Nelson is a horrible moderator!

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Help!

Nelson is a terrible moderator - he is impatient, short-tempered, doesn't know machining, holds a grudge, and has no business moderating the substantive forums on this board. In fact, his only redeeming quality, if he has one, is that he recognizes this about himself.

That having been said, we need to fire Nelson as a moderator of the following forums and have a few regulars "step up" and agree to moderate the following forums:

MACHINING & METALWORKING PROJECTS - I would love it if Walter (Starlight) would do this with someone else.

ELECTRICAL, TRANSFORMER, PHASE CONVERSION - I would love if Turbine and someone else would do this.

USA MILLING MACHINES - (Bridgeport, Burke, Clausing, Hardinge, Van Norman, Cincinnati, Atlas, K & T & other American mills)

ANTIQUE MACHINERY - (Lathes, milling machines, punches, drill presses, etc.)

IMPORTED LATHES - (Hormier, Grizzly, Enco, Sieg, Harbor Freight, Einhell, Micromark, 7x10, 7x12, 8x14, 12x36, 'New South Bend' and other imported lathes)

IMPORTED MILLING MACHINES - (Hormier, Grizzly, Enco, Sieg, Harbor Freight, Einhell, Micromark, 'South Bend' and other imported mills)

METAL-CUTTING BANDSAWS - (Grizzly/Jet/HF/Enco/Delta 4x6, 5x6s, etc.)

TOOLS OF THE TRADE - (Store-bought tools & shop-Made tooling) - I would love it if Walter (Starlight) and someone else would do this.

Let's get Nelson's name off these forums for the good of your site. Please step up and volunteer to moderate. It doesn't take much more time than many of you spend anyway on here to start topics, keep discussions going, and make sure they don't get out of hand.

Thanks so much for keeping Nelson out of the moderation game!

Best,

Nelson

Last edited by a moderator:
Power? What power? There is no power here on H-M.
The site belongs to you guys, not the mods or me. I'm dead serious about that.
I benefit from your knowledge and experience. In exchange, I try to stay the heck out of the way.

If power "goes to your head" think of other unnamed site owners whose behavior drives people away. It's pointless.

That having been said...volunteers please? You can PM me if you don't want to go public yet.

Best,

Nelson

Ok. Walter has graciously agreed to help out by moderating "Machining and Metalworking Projects" and "Tools of the Trade", Thanks very much Walter!

We still need to kick Nelson off the following forums:

ELECTRICAL, TRANSFORMER, PHASE CONVERSION - I would love if Turbine and someone else would do this.

USA MILLING MACHINES - (Bridgeport, Burke, Clausing, Hardinge, Van Norman, Cincinnati, Atlas, K & T & other American mills)

ANTIQUE MACHINERY - (Lathes, milling machines, punches, drill presses, etc.)

IMPORTED LATHES - (Hormier, Grizzly, Enco, Sieg, Harbor Freight, Einhell, Micromark, 7x10, 7x12, 8x14, 12x36, 'New South Bend' and other imported lathes)

IMPORTED MILLING MACHINES - (Hormier, Grizzly, Enco, Sieg, Harbor Freight, Einhell, Micromark, 'South Bend' and other imported mills)

METAL-CUTTING BANDSAWS - (Grizzly/Jet/HF/Enco/Delta 4x6, 5x6s, etc.)

Your help is appreciated!

Best,

Nelson

Last edited by a moderator:
What we really need is someone who is an expert on the import lathes and mills for those sections.

I asked on the 7x10, 7x12 and 12x36 Yahoo groups, and no one was interested.
Those groups are really super, by the way.

If anyone knows anyone from those groups who would be interested, please send them my way or let me know who to contact.

Thanks,

Nelson

Ok, we will have Ed (mnmh) and shadow on Imports.

Thanks to you guys for stepping up!

Best,

Nelson

Thanks to everyone's willingness to help out, we are up to 9 moderators. That should be more than enough to cover our small board so that no one is overwhelmed.

I can't thank everyone enough for helping out. We have a quiet board so odds are you will be bored, and basically keeping discussions going nicely.

Please check out the moderator's lounge to see if anything new is going on. (All moderators should now be able to see it below the "Site Announcements"- let me know if you cannot). We have a thread in there which explains our moderating philosophy, which is esentially to be gentle, to leave people alone, not to ban anyone or suspend them, but help them learn and interact.

When in doubt, ask yourself "what would Nelson do in this situation?" and then do the exact opposite. :p

Best,

Nelson

It should now be showing up below the "Site Announcements" forum. You may have to log in and out. Let me know if you cannot see it and I will work on correcting that.

To be honest, we don't have cause to use it very much, and there isn't really anything in there that I would be ashamed to show to the members. Just policy stuff and personal stuff like "I have been sick", etc.

Best,

Nelson

Thank you to everyone that volunteered. I'm sure that Nelson is relieved to have the assistance. This being a small forum, so far, it should be enjoyable to help moderate it.

Nelson is not a bad guy, in spite of his presentation to the contrary. I imagine that any of us would feel just a little overwhelmed in his position. We can do much to alleviate his apprehensions, and I recommend that we do just that. A good group of Moderators is hard to come by, and well worth cultivating.

Tony,

If it is ok, I put Terry G as a backup with you in Guns, so we are up to 10 now, and that should be a good number for us.

Best,

Nelson

Back