Help needed w/fwd-rev switch BD920N

Johnwright

Wannabe machinist
Registered
I bought a well used Jet 9X20 (BD920N) lathe and the elect. switch is roached out. The switch was real hard to turn and when turned to reverse, my breaker switched off. A new switch from Jet is $265 to $300, what the heck???? I got my hands on a Grizzly switch ($45) for the G4000 since IMHO they should be the same...NOT! I'm not an electrician, but I can follow instructions if some helpful soul can give me some guidance.
(Retired cop in need of some adult supervision)

Is it the DC variable speed type? there looks to be a couple of different types shown with a google image search...
Like this? :-

BD-920N_lathe_reverse_switch_guard_2.jpg

BD-920N_lathe_reverse_switch_guard_2.jpg

Is it the DC variable speed type? there looks to be a couple of different types shown with a google image search...
Like this? :-

View attachment 82331 My Jet switch is your normal Fwd-off-Rev type and the Grizzly that I want to replace it with is very similar. I can't find a Jet wiring diagram to see which wire goes where. I really don't want to haul this thing down to some electrician. A little help here please, but I really would like the variable speed feature but don't want to replace the motor at this point, I just wanna get to making swarf. Thanks for trying.

It looks like their is a circuit digram printed on the bottom of the jet switch cover. Flip it over and snap a pic, and post it.

The challenge here is that the picture of the jet switch shows 8 wires plus the L1 & L2 power, and we have 12 possible connection pints on the new switch. Not the end of the world, you will be able to use it, we just have to parse the connections.

btw, this is not the sort of thing to "trial and error"...

Trade secret (if owning cheap asian machinery can be considered a "trade"): not only is grizzly the best source for safe parts, but their manuals are far superior to anyone else's, and are great references even if you own one of the similar looking but different colored machines belonging to a competitor.

Below is the electric schematic page from the g4000 manual. Lets see that circuit diagram from the bottom of the jet switch and see what we can figure out.

g4000.png

btw, did you label the wires that you disconnected from the jet switch before you pulled the switch out?

logic_table.png g4000.png

Last edited:
It looks like their is a circuit digram printed on the bottom of the jet switch cover. Flip it over and snap a pic, and post it.

The challenge here is that the picture of the jet switch shows 8 wires plus the L1 & L2 power, and we have 12 possible connection pints on the new switch. Not the end of the world, you will be able to use it, we just have to parse the connections.

btw, this is not the sort of thing to "trial and error"...

Trade secret (if owning cheap asian machinery can be considered a "trade"): not only is grizzly the best source for safe parts, but their manuals are far superior to anyone else's, and are great references even if you own one of the similar looking but different colored machines belonging to a competitor.

Below is the electric schematic page from the g4000 manual. Lets see that circuit diagram from the bottom of the jet switch and see what we can figure out.

View attachment 82416

btw, did you label the wires that you disconnected from the jet switch before you pulled the switch out?

I took photos and notes of everything before any disassembly. I found the diagram you provided here, but without the section labeled "motor". Also my wires (4) I removed from the Jet switch are labeled 1,2,3,&4. This diagram shows (in addition to the two hot and the ground) five wires going toward the motor. I will compare what I have with the info on the "motor" diagram and it might make more sense. A few minutes ago I opened the capacitor can and found that the Jet has only one capacitor, not a separate start and run capacitor. Now if I could only find my multimeter........thanks

image.jpg This is the diagram on the back side of the Jet cover. Not real helpful to this neophyte electrician. Ha.

image.jpg

... Now if I could only find my multimeter........thanks

Dang-ette, I've got (3) Simpson's laying in a drawer... This is when one's wishes he was right 'round the corner...

_Dan

That helps.

The switch that you removed only had 4 wires to it, correct? The dotted line of your diagram is a terminal board (with V1-U1 connection and V2-U2 connection), and that is mounted elsewhere (maybe inside the junction box on the motor)?

Did you label the wires you disconnected from the switch, or do they have the labels on them (should be Z1, U1, W2, V2)?

I can easily tell you how your motor was hooked up:

Your motor has three sets of windings. Two are RUN windings (V1/V2 and U1/U2) and one is start winding (Z1-W2) with a centrifugal switch (W1-Z2) that turns it off as the motor picks up speed. You have a dual voltage (110 and 220) motor, and depending on which voltage you want it set up at depends on how the two run windings are connected. In your case, it is setup as 110V, which is why V1 and U1 are jumpered together and V2 and U2 are jumpered together.

The old switch always provided the same polarity to 1 &3 when fwd or reverse, and reversed the polarity for 2 & 4 to start the motor spinning in the desired direction.

Where I am stumped right now is figuring out the internal schematic for your new switch. The Grizzly manual shows the connection for a capacitor start-capacitor run motor, which you don't have. It is a reversing switch, which means some of the contacts are connected internally (for example, 1-3-5 and 7-9-11). If I had it sitting on the bench in front of me, it would take about 20 sec to figure it out.

Unfortunately, there are quite a few different circuits for these things. Below is one example, but it definitely ISN'T the way your switch is built (The Grizz 9x20 has a jumper from 4 to 10, which means when you reverse the lathe, the switch below would short line and neutral together. Bad news):
NOT_YOUR_SWITCH.png
I drew out what should work in the circuit grizzly has on their 9x29, but I am afraid that it is only one of about 6 possible circuits. I personally would not blindly hook up the motor based upon my guesses; I would check the switch with a multimeter first (not hard) to find out which contacts close as the switch is cycled.

By any chance the grizzly switch didn't come with a diagram, did it? Are there any other part numbers on it besides the LW8PS I can read in your photo? My google-fu is weak, I cannot come up with a circuit diagram for a LW8PS switch.

Got to home depot and buy a multi-tester for $20, and you can learn to use it. It is easy.

NOT_YOUR_SWITCH.png

Last edited:
Back