Help Needed to Identify Part size

MHW

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
To all of the great ones out there with vast knowledge. I am working on a Craftsman101-28990. On the Compound Screw Assembly and the Cross Slide Screw Assembly there is a washer listed #27 Part #M6-255. Does anyone have the demensions for these washers and the material they are made of. We are trying to restore this lathe to OEM Spec 100% as a project. If you could also find it in your heart to identify #16 Part #M1-92 and #17 Part #557-028 for size demensions and material. I believe that #17 will be a brass puck .125x.125 which the Microfeed Dial set screw locks against and i believe that #16 will be a #8-32 Knurled thumb screw. Any help and info would be great

MHW,

I didn't realize that I was so far behind. And I can't believe no one has answered this. It's too bloody cold to go outside right now but I'll answer them around mid day tomorrow. In the meantime, assuming that the thumbscrew threads are #8-32, You are correct on the brass plug for protecting the surface of #25 flanged threaded bushing.

However, I have to add that had you simply called Clausing @ 800-323-0973 on Monday last, you might already have the parts in hand. If you ever do need any more parts, it will probably save a little time if you tell them that they are for an Atlas 3996. Unless the part that you need has "Craftsman" printed on it. That is the only difference between the two models. Also, if ordering small parts that will weigh less than one pound, ask them to ship it 1st Class Mail. Their default shipper is UPS, whose minimum weight is one pound.

Thank you for the reply. Yes the threads are #8-32 and i procured some nice SS Knurled thumb screws and a piece of .125 brass rod from Grainger. What i still dont know is what the washer is made of or the dimensions of the washer and the plug. I will assume that the plug is .125x.125 as this makes the most sense as the threads in the dial face are not cut all the way to the bottom of the hole. The area where the washer goes is ID .075 and od is .965. The depth of the recess on the the dial is .063 Not sure if the washer needs to be more than that or not.

I have called Clausing last week for some other parts but they wont ship to me in Ca direct. You have to go thru a authorized distributor which i am trying to become with them but with the holidays things are a little slow. It seems that everything in the world right now is on back order. I did download your blueprints for the 3996 motor drive pulley and just wanted to say very well done drawings thank you.

As far as the weather goes we are very dry and warm here in Ca. Where this pic was taken 12/9/20 at 6000' we should have about 4-5' of snow. This is a pic of Whiskey Falls in the Sierra National Forest below Yosemite. I will be looking forward to your reply and information. This site has been a great source of information and just a lot of fun to read.

Attachments

• IMG_2795.jpg
    IMG_2795.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 5
That washer ( #27 ) is .750" O.D. .375" I.D. and .025" thick. It is made of steel, and kinda feels like the same material as hard shim stock.

OK. I got tied up with an issue at my Storage facility yesterday after I discovered the lock to one of my units in my Field Jacket pocket and not locking the unit.

Fortunately, Jeff answered the thrust washer question. The OD and thickness are hot especially critical unless there is visible wear on the face of the #31 Bearing in which case the OD of the replacement should not exceed the OD of the worn spot. What is fairly critical is that the front and rear surfaces be parallel as otherwise it will be difficult to set the cross slide screw end float to near zero (which should always be done with the cross slid nut cranked all of the way back and off of the screw.

If you do end up having to make the brass plug, the diameter should be a bare slip fit through the unthreaded part of the hole for the thumb screw and it is important that the two ends be parallel and that there not be a vestige of a bump in the center of either end. Else you may find that the dial rotates slightly when you tighten the thumb screw.

I didn't notice that you are in California. I would strongly recommend that you try to find someone already set up to deal with the state sales tax reporting requirements if at all possible. CA has the worst sales tax laws in the country, or maybe on the planet. You do not want to come up on their radar if you can avoid it.

Back