Help! Mill Re-assembly.

mws

Active User
Registered
Hope I linked these photos properly.
I'm re-assembling an older Bridgeport Mill. It's obvious the oiling system failed and some undue wear has accrued in the knee ways and gib. Do I need to true and scrape these surfaces, leave alone, something in between? I'm comfortable scraping a surface flat. Getting all four of these contact areas planar and true, that's a little daunting. Any advice welcome.
Mark

Last edited:
I cant see your picture,,,,,so I am not much help
JOHN

I'm just a n00b, but it is my understanding that the goal is to have ALL surfaces perfectly flat.

With X, Y, and Z perfectly perpendicular to each other.

Mill, file, scrape and hone as needed.

I relinked the photos. I understand that perfectly flat and square, as well as leaving sufficient impression to hold oil is desirable. However, at what point is the wear sufficient to warrant taking another month )or two) to get this machine back in service. I thought some folks more familiar with the tolerances of the Bridgeport could offer some judgment.

It looks to me....that it could use being rescraped. The tolerances you expect out of this machine will decide if it needs to be done.
JOHN

That gouge can be filled:
Clean the gouge out thoroughly!
Lots of preheat.
TIG short, non-adjacent, segments.
1/2 day cool-down
Then grind, file, scrape, hone back to flat.

Or just ignore it.

Look into TURCITE B There is some videos on how to use it and lots of discussion about using it.
Just saying it's a option.

Back up a moment.....

I was trying to figure out how such damage could have occurred....

It's looking more like those are deliberate oil channels.

Back up a moment.....

I was trying to figure out how such damage could have occurred....

It's looking more like those are deliberate oil channels.
They are. I assume that he is referring to the fact that most or all of the flaking pattern is gone from most of the surfaces shown.

Back