Help Me Pick Lathe, Grizzly G4003g Or Baliegh 13x40

JoeC

Registered
Registered
Hi, I'm ready to buy my 1st lathe. Threading gun barrels is one of my primary uses for it.
I can buy a new Grizzly G4003G for $3470 delivered or a lightly used Baliegh 13x40 with DRO for $3900.
$3900 is all I can spend for a machine.

Spinldle bore is about the same on both.
The Grizzlyis 12x36 and has the outboard spider and warranty.
The Baliegh is 13x40 and has the DRO and is 4 years old, with all the original parts.

I'm leaning towards the Baliegh. Any reason you would get the Grizzly instead?

Thanks,
JoeC

Is the Baileigh local, so you can see it before you buy it?

Look for any indication of damage on compound slide and QCTP that would indicate it has been crashed. Get him (or do it yourself) to take a 0.040" cut on a piece of aluminum round stock to see what the surface finish looks like. Did he ever use coolant with the machine?

It is always a buyers market for used heavy machinery; I would offer him $3200 and see what he says.

Grizzly's version of the Baileigh sells for $4700, and Precision Matthews sells it for $5000.

Its local. I have seen it run. He has been turning rifle barrels with it and they look nice. I couldn't find any signs of damage. The machine has a coolant pump, but I don't know if he used it. He had a 24" barrel between centers on it. It made me wonder if a 12x36 was big enough for 24" barrels.
What is the longest barrel between centers reasonable for a 12x36?
I'm trying to convince myself that the DRO and larger 13x40 outweigh the 12x36 being new.

Remember that "between centers" means exactly that and no more. If you put solid centers, not extended ones or live ones, in the headstock taper and the tailstock taper without the quill extended, and move the tailstock to the furthest right end position possible, then you should be able to put a part with centers 36" long between them and spin it. You cannot do that if one end is on a center mounted in in a chuck. Also, being able to mount 36" does not necessarily mean you will be able to do the work you want to on it. Facing the right or left ends of the work or turning the entire length might be a real challenge. Doing operations on the ends of the work like boring or grooving will probably not be possible with a capacity size piece of work. Also pay attention to the "swing over cross slide" and "swing over compound" dimensions. They can be quite limiting with long parts.

Edit: Also note that Chinese specifications are usually stretched to the max. It a lathe will fit a 35.5001" long part, it is labeled as a 36" lathe. Not like an old Monarch that might be labeled an 18" lathe, but would actually turn 21+" over the ways. The days of delivering more than you promise seem to be pretty much dead.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've been wondering exactly how 36" between centers measured out. I don't have a machine to reference. For a machine spec of 36" between centers, whats the longest reasonable part you could turn between a live and dead center and make normal operations and use of the quill without going to extremes?

I would see if he is the original owner and the reason he is selling it. How old is the Baliegh? Seems to be a variant on current models, price wise if you add a DRO to the G4003G you are about the same, also depends what comes with the Baliegh as far as tooling and chucks... I would lean to the Baliegh if it checks out fine and comes with the usual chucks/accessories. The G4003G seems to be a bit of a love hate relationship, either its great, or people seem to have a lot of issues. But not a lot of new equipment options as far as the price and range you are looking.

I'm sure he is the original owner. He spent a couple hours showing me around. This one is 4 years old. He also has another one identical to it but only one year old for an additional $500. My choice. Plans didn't work out so he is still a one man shop. Comes with the same stuff as the Grizzly. D4 camlock. 3 jaw, 4 jaw, faceplate, steady, follower.
The machine looks good, sounds good. Still, I have this apprehension about used equipment. I'm leaning towards it anyway.

This is what bugs me about the Baliegh I'm looking at. When he told me about how he lifted it to move it from one location to another. Lifted just long enough to move the trailer under it. With the table attached with a fork lift. Forks above the machine. One strap under the frame on the tailstock end, as per the instructions,
The other strap wrapped under the chuck. Is the D4 camlocks and spindle bearings enough to not affect its cutting tolerance? It doesn't appear to have hurt it but the thought makes me cringe.
Any first hand experiences?

I wouldn't do it personally... but it is a very common way to lift lathes.

The proof is in the results. If what he is turning in the lathe looks beautiful, then it obviously didn't hurt it.

I would go for the Baileigh over the G4003G if he will negotiate on the price a bit.

pm'd you.

I have had a 12 x 36 lathe (Enco) in the past and did barrel work with it with great success. I now have the G4002 12 x 24 and do the same thing without any difficulty, as all of my barrels are un-threaded, un-chambered and pre-turned to taper/diameter. If I was turning the barrel blank to final taper/diameter, the 12 x 36 would be the better choice. I have used Grizzly products for years and you can't beat the tools for the price and warranty. The G4003G lathe was developed for the gunsmith in mind and is an excellent value with warranty. Without giving it another though, I would go for the Griz. The only thing needed is to upgrade to the Shars 6" and 8" Zero-Set fine adjustment self centering scroll chucks.

https://www.shars.com/files/products/catalog2015/page110.pdf

Last edited:
Back