Help Me Decide...lathe...g0602, G9972z, Or G0752??

Bill that PM style gearbox is $300 more in Grizzly's line up.
It is debatable if it is actually a step-up, more expensive doesn't mean more functional. Norton gear-box is very versatile, the "upgraded" closed gearbox doesn't have as many built-in ratios.

It will be the PM1236 if the boss agrees or the PM 1030 if I get too much s* from her... 3.7k vs 2k
Just so you are forewarned, while it is worth the wait to buy from Matt, it isn't like buying something off the shelf from walmart. You gotta wait for the slow boat to arrive from China. He gets regular shipments of his most popular items, while the less purchased ones (probably the 1022 and 1030) have a longer lead time.

If Grizzly's website says it is in stock, you will get it inside the week, however I would buy the PM1236 if I was in your shoes.

But the Grizzly will match with the mill I have...A garage with too many machines in different colors would be uncivilized... Hahahahhhaha. :laughing:

That's my problem! :D

(I have two lathes and two mills and none match...)

It is debatable if it is actually a step-up, more expensive doesn't mean more functional. Norton gear-box is very versatile, the "upgraded" closed gearbox doesn't have as many built-in ratios.

Just so you are forewarned, while it is worth the wait to buy from Matt, it isn't like buying something off the shelf from walmart. You gotta wait for the slow boat to arrive from China. He gets regular shipments of his most popular items, while the less purchased ones (probably the 1022 and 1030) have a longer lead time.

If Grizzly's website says it is in stock, you will get it inside the week, however I would buy the PM1236 if I was in your shoes.

True but the enclosed gearbox is in an oil bath.

This is how I ended with the Grizzly mill... I wanted something now... Bike is done, so I am happy. For the lathe, I can wait.

But the Grizzly will match with the mill I have..
Go buy a rattle can of John Deere green and spray the PM lathe. Problem solved.

Plus you can brag to everyone that it is "owner refurbished"...

G4003G. The green isn't any uglier than the wrong shade of blue. I have the affore mentioned green machine and it chambered a .308 barrel today. Perfect. The spider is a nice feature out of the box and mandatory for the barrel I did. The norton gear box is proven. See PM1340GT as well as millions of hours of industrial machines with the same gear box. More speeds means more ridiculously fine threads but also finer feeds which is useful in gun work I hear. Having owned the green one for more than two years I would make the same choice. Besides the machine is white on a green stand. I don't see the green when I'm machining anyway.
Dave

G4003G. The green isn't any uglier than the wrong shade of blue. I have the affore mentioned green machine and it chambered a .308 barrel today. Perfect. The spider is a nice feature out of the box and mandatory for the barrel I did. The norton gear box is proven. See PM1340GT as well as millions of hours of industrial machines with the same gear box. More speeds means more ridiculously fine threads but also finer feeds which is useful in gun work I hear. Having owned the green one for more than two years I would make the same choice. Besides the machine is white on a green stand. I don't see the green when I'm machining anyway.
Dave

You know that I am just having some fun with the color... I don't mind the green, nor the blue, nor mismatched tools :)

And there is always this:

7211830_0112_SRT_12oz_Hammered_Aerosol_DeepGreen.ashx.png

http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/stops-rust/hammered-spray/

7211830_0112_SRT_12oz_Hammered_Aerosol_DeepGreen.ashx.png

Oh... so more like what the Grizzly G0750G has... got it...

Coolidge and I were talking different things, which I didn't realize until later: When he said "upgrade" I was thinking functional upgrade like all inch feeds/threads, a.k.a. a Norton gearbox. He was referring to an enclosed gearbox with a oil bath. I don't think a partial gearbox that is enclosed is a upgrade on these light to medium duty lathes. I'd rather have all the feeds/threads. There are South Bends on this forum that have open gear boxes and have been running for over 50 years. My 1340GT has one and I love it.

Just to clarify. :)

Back