Help in setting rivets

Tony Wells

President Emeritus (Retired)
Registered
Do you have a pneumatic hammer, such as body men and muffler shops have? They can be outfitted with a slightly concave tool for setting rivets. You still need to back it up, but they are pretty slick for that. No manual hammering.

Probably just a regional thing, but I've not heard them referred to as that. I sacrificed a chisel I figured I would never need for a rivet setter. Used a ball nose end mill to give it the head profile I wanted. Seems like it was a 3/4" EM. Just watch that you don't leave a sharp edge on the OD of the "chisel" so as not to damage the panel if you happen to get a little crooked. As long as you aren't peening them down all the way, you can work the hammer around in a small circle and control the shape pretty easily.

Do you have an aircraft repair shop near you? They can help you the best. Here in my area we have many old Bell (aviation) employees and a few subcontract assembly plants for Boeing, NG etc. They deal with rivets all day.

Due to the local aircraft industry I have over 1000 rivets of various types, alum, Ti, steel, selfseal etc. plus the tools to install using the rivet gun. These I have pickup at yard sales and/or been given over the years. I will never have to buy a rivet for a very very long time.

"Soft" rivets are fabricated from 1100-grade aluminum and have a tensile strength of 16,000 PSI. "Hard" rivets are fabricated from 2117 aluminum and heat treated to the T4 condition. They have a shear strength of 26,000 PSI and a tensile strength of 38,000 PSI.

For your application, I believe you'll be ok with 1100

Back