Help identifying this steady rest

Have to remember, many sellers on eBay will use key words like "South Bend Lathe" for the attention getter. Most do not know if the accessory or part actually goes to a South Bend Lathe. And it is very common now days to modify a steady rest to fit an existing lathe regardless the make of the steady rest or lathe. I've done it several times in the past, too.

Have to remember, many sellers on eBay will use key words like "South Bend Lathe" for the attention getter. Most do not know if the accessory or part actually goes to a South Bend Lathe. And it is very common now days to modify a steady rest to fit an existing lathe regardless the make of the steady rest or lathe. I've done it several times in the past, too.

This helps me a lot, and it also confirms what I was thinking. I listed it on eBay as "unmarked" and gave detailed dimensions of the base. So, it really is up to the buyer to determine if it will fit without modding.

Edit: here's the link http://r.ebay.com/37p3R7

Last edited:
Looks like a Sheldon to me.
The base is too wide for for the L or M series Sheldon lathe. Also the casting numbers are not anything as found on a Sheldon SR. The R series lathe has a totally different looking steady rest.
Here's a catalog reference from Vintage Machinery's website.

Attachments

• 6859.pdf
    29.6 MB · Views: 6
I stand corrected. It sure looks like the one that came with a sheldon I had.
As I said in a earlier post, many of the lathe manufactures out there copied each other's stead rest in some form or fashion to work with the lathes they built. The picture showing the measurement of the width of the base, I believe is about 3/4" too wide to fit the bed to a Sheldon lathe. And again, the casting numbers do not match up with anything that John Knox has posted on the Sheldon Lathe group either. I just stating the facts as I see it.

Edit: the base on the one above is just a little over 1" too wide to fit the R series Sheldon lathe bed. The height to the center of the SR is between my 13" and 15" Sheldon lathe. That could mean this was for a 14" lathe. I also notice he had no problem selling the SR. We'll probably never know what it originally went to or what lathe it is going to be mounted to today.

Last edited by a moderator:
It did sell quickly and I meant to ask the buyer what lathe he had. Maybe I'll do that for everyone's knowledge.

Edit: It was for a 15" Clausing.

Last edited:
Back