Help Identifying an Old Manual Drill Press

MozamPete

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Brought an old manual bench drill press.
Has an automatic down feed mechanism with some sort of clutch/friction adjustment to set the actual drill feed pressure. Needs some adjusting or maintenance as the pressure seems too heavy at present
Can’t find any markings on the castings to identify the manufacturer. Only clue is a partial decal on the front which may or may not be original (a racehorse inside of a gear/sprocket). Any ideas?

412D9867-5116-4200-9DC1-17C37B5C08D7.jpeg

FEC70E4A-0FEF-4436-9E24-D09314FD2B15.jpeg

8DCF32C9-F62D-4A6E-9782-A830D07B6961.jpeg

Bump - I think my message got lost in the concussion of the outage. Anyone have any idea on this logo?

I checked all my usual haunts and couldn't find anything on it. The machine itself reminds me of an old auto shop valve seat grinder with that gear box thing happening but I couldn't find one that matched. It bugs me I can't hit this a little closer but I'm not really tuned in on what typical manufacturers show up on the South African scene.

-frank

Hmmm, interesting. Tyzack did have a line known as the "horseman brand" with a horse and seated rider as logo. It's not exactly the same as the racing horse, but might be a precursor.

1580419671072.png

As an aside, I have a Tyzack "Nonpareil" brass-backed dovetail saw -- absolutely gorgeous and a treasure to use.

Plus, we're kind of assuming the part logo is from the maker I suppose it could also just be from the vendor or reseller.

I've seen that gearbox on something else... Don't remember what...

Thanks for all the input. I have found a identical drill - both externally and internally (other than a slightly different crank handle) on a Russian OLX site which it refers to as a S Tyzack and Son Ltd. But that is about all so far.

Back