Help Identify Make Of Chuck

David S

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi,

I purchased a JET bench top drill press in the 1970s, made in Japan. I have tricked it all out to use as a mill as been discussed in a previous thread.

I would very much like to know who makes the chuck. It is 13mm and seems to go down to very close to zero and it presently has a TIR of about 0.001" measured with a ground rod 1" from the chuck jaws. It doesn't look all that remarkable compared to my Albrecht chucks, but this thing is impressive.

In the photos that I have taken of the chuck I am milling a slot in 0.020" thick brass plate with a straight fissure carbide dental burr : shank Ø 1.6 mm, cutter Ø 0.9 mm.

chuck trade mark.jpg chuck model number.jpg chuck 13 mm.jpg

If anyone has any information I would love to know more about it. Thank you

David

Hi Colleges, Yes I am impatient, I know, but just wanted to bump this up to see if anyone recognizes the manufacturer of this chuck.

In my searching on similar JET-13R older made in Japan DPs, I see that they have the same chuck markings and some have stated that their TIR is also 0.001".

Any Asian fellow hobby machinists on here??

David

Nope! Golden Goose could be the maker of this chuck. But just a WAG.

Thanks Ken. This seems a bit unique in that the entire sleeve is sort of knurled. I haven't seen others of this size with this feature.

Perhaps I will never know.

David

When Jacobs started making drill chucks in the early 1900's, the OD of their chucks were knurled. I have one here somewhere in my stuff.

Back