Help ID a hydraulic press?

I tried that at Motion Industries in Elgin, IL. I was informed that they sell oil seals, not hydraulic seals, and they didn't even want to see my parts. I'll keep trying, but there are many more people who are not interested in helping than those who are.

GG

How are you measuring the cylinder? I has to dig out my telescoping gages to find the diameter on mine, my caliper would not reach past the threaded portion. Is there any chance it is really 100x80x12 ? I found that there are a lot of jacks and rams that use this seal

The seal groove is .400" wide, or 10mm. The seal groove diameter is 3.346", or 85mm. The cylinder bore is 4.000", or 101mm. I used inside telescoping gauges to confirm that my Starrett cylinder bore gauge was correct. I don't have enough experience with hydraulic presses to know what is popular or common. I just measured what I have.

Thanks!

GG

The company I found was a small company that made seals of all kinds.

Personally, I'd just get a properly sized O-ring and call it a day. If that doesn't work, then start hunting for a lip seal. My guess is it was just an O-ring to start with.

I tried that at Motion Industries in Elgin, IL. I was informed that they sell oil seals, not hydraulic seals, and they didn't even want to see my parts. I'll keep trying, but there are many more people who are not interested in helping than those who are.

GG

Another choice is go to Parker and pic the seal that ya need. Not sure why Motion Industries would tell you that they don't handle hydraulic seals. They are a distributor of Parker. Pick your seal and have them order it.

for 10.00. i would order the 100x85x12 and try to make it fit. the seal will get a little bigger when you squeeze it from 12 to 10.

I ordered one from him today on eBay. The 100x85x10 size was $20 instead of $10, but it fits and works, it's worth 10x that. We will see if it will fit or not. Even if it doesn't, if I find out I need one size bigger it's still a win.

Thanks!

GG

Update on the shop press. The "Y" seal arrived, and fit the piston and cylinder perfectly. I had it installed, reassembled, filled with hydraulic oil, and working in just a couple of hours. THANK YOU to all who contributed to this thread and helped save a good piece of machinery!

GG

20170321_151655.jpg

20170321_151720.jpg

20170323_100835.jpg

Back