Help for Newbie in valuation of Round Ram J Head

I've been seeing a few modern Bridgeports (1970's on) for sale around locally under $2k, with the average appearing to be around $1800. Several of these machines have included good vises and some tooling. Personally, I would avoid this mill because it is well used and has probably received a quick coat of paint to cover cosmetic shortcomings. I believe $5-600 would be my ceiling on this machine, and that's if all the ways checked out reasonably true, leadscrews had acceptable backlash, and the drive seemed solid. As Ed pointed out above, that round ram will substantially complicate operations any time you have to move it, and the later dovetail rams mostly alleviate this. I frequently do plate work of a size that necessitates moving the ram midway through the job, and I'd want no part of this type work without the dovetail-style interface.

Gostdncr, thanks for your input! Do you any opinion on the second link I posted? It appears to have a horizontal attachment, but I am not familiar with these either.

Thanks again!
Ryan

I have never seen or heard of that horizontal attachment, but I'm pretty sure that would be a must buy for me. That thing is cool!!! This machine has some nice features about it, such as the power feed, minimal backlash, power quill, machine is under power so you can check it out properly, plus they'll load it for you! I'd call and find out more about price on the extra tooling, especially any for the horizontal adapter. Step pulleys aren't as easy to use as the variable speed heads, but they sure are simple. I don't believe I've ever had one of these step-pulley heads apart in over thirty years involvement in the machine trades.

The horizontal attachment is definitely cool, and I have not seen that before. It would only be suitable for light work.

As others here have said, the round ram mills can be a real PITA when you traverse the ram because the head needs to be re-trammed each time that ram is moved. Also, that head has no nod capability. I've only used the nod feature on my mill a few times, but when you need it..... you need it. The second mill looks like it could be a decent machine. That horizontal milling feature is pretty cool, but without some outboard support for the arbor, it would be limited to pretty light cuts. It appears that you live in a good region (Ohio) for finding used machinery, so given that fact and what appears to be a decent budget, I would say take your time and do your homework before you jump on anything. There is a lot to learn about buying a good knee mill as well as the tooling and accessories. It's a lot easier to learn many of these things by doing your homework and asking a lot of questions than it is to deal with a machine that you may eventually wish you hadn't bought.
Just my two cents.
Ted

That horizontal milling feature is pretty cool, but without some outboard support for the arbor, it would be limited to pretty light cuts.

Excellent point, Ted. I assumed there was an outboard support of some sort that clamped to the machine's spindle, perhaps like the 90 degree adapters. While not seen in any of the pics, that slender arbor would be almost useless for horizontal milling without such a support.

Thanks for all the input! I definitely need to study up on mills before buying one.

I spoke to he seller on the second one and he indicated that the turret was a round ram with a j head and the horz adapter bolted to it. Sounds like a hodge podge of parts. Not sure if this matters or not.

Thanks again for your advice!
Ryan

I spoke to he seller on the second one and he indicated that the turret was a round ram with a j head and the horz adapter bolted to it.

The Bridgeport you linked to on Toledo Craigslist definitely has a dovetail ram, if I'm reading your statement correctly. The seller may be referring to the turret as being round, but the ram is not. Even if the machine is parted together, I'd still be inclined to buy it. That setup is really speaking to me! :beguiled:

I hope you are over 6'-3", because with that Malnar attachment, it looks like you are stuck with a riser block...... As far as the two machines, you are comparing apples to oranges.... Yoder is the world's worst for charging fantabulous upcharge prices for a paint and buff job. The Craigslist machine is overpriced (but has power feed and dovetail ram), but less so than the green mill (no power feed, rough table, and suspiciously pristine turret assembly), which is ridiculously overpriced.

My 2¢.

Back