Help for my aging eyes.

ScrapMetal

Active User
Registered
I was lurking around on e-bay last night and came across a little gadget used in dentistry. I've seen my own dentist use a similar (surely of better quality) setup so I'm pretty sure that the concept is solid.

binoculars.JPG

I'm sure the guys that work with miniatures and such are already aware of these. Just search e-bay with "dental surgical binocular" and all kinds of listings should show up. All the ones from Chinese sources are about the same price. I ordered a set and will let you guys know what I think of them when they show up.

-Ron

binoculars.JPG

do they have a fixed distance and power

Here's the information off the listing that I bought from:

Features:

• Head Strap​
  • Adjustment Tool​
  • Protective Caps​
  • Setting Target​
  • Flip Grip​
  • Ultra Light Weight (75.0 grams)​
  • One Step Pupillary Adjustment​
  • Convenient 420mm Working Distance​
  • Adjustable Angular Viewing​
  • Large Depth of Field​
  • Easy Convergence Settings​
  • Safety Soft Touch Frame​
  • Flip-up Design​
  • Large Field of View​
  • Stylish Designs​
  • Multi-Person Use​
  • Handy Protective Carry Case​
  • Inclusive cleaning cloth​
  • Screwdriver​
  • Flexible Headband​

Specification:

Magnification: 3.5X
Working distance: 420mm
Depth of field: 80mm
Field of View: 60mm
Weight: 52g
Frames: Ni-alloy or Titanium

Packing List:

Main glass: 1 each
Protect cups: 2 each
Handy Protective Carry Case: 1 each
Inclusive cleaning cloth: 1 each
Screwdriver: 1 each
Flexible Headband: 1 each
Adjust Tool: 1 each

Headlight Specifications
:

Portable LED headlight
High intensity>15000—30000Lux
Continuous run-time:>5 hour
The power of the LED bulb:1 W
The lifetime of the bulb:10000 hour
All loupes are optional
Very small volume and weight
Battery pack weight:100g
Charge voltage:AC110V/240V/50-60Hz
Using the rechargeable lithium battery, light weight, longevity and the more comfortable carry, it is suitable for all kinds of surgical operation

Packing List:

1. LED head light: 1 each
2. Adaptor: 1 each
3. Battery: 1 each
4. Black case: 1 each

-Ron

Very interesting. I will appreciate your review. I'd especially like to know if they're compatible with bifocals.

Very interesting. I will appreciate your review. I'd especially like to know if they're compatible with bifocals.

No problem. Last time I ordered something from China it took a couple of weeks or so to get here but when they arrive I'll post it.

-Ron

I got impatient and ordered a pair of the dental loupes without waiting for your review. The ones I got are a little different than the ones in your image. I bought mine from jinlan226 on eBay for $36.

jinlan226's eBay ad in one place says they include a headlamp. They do not. The ad also says that they are 2.5X and 3.5X. They have a single magnification and are marked 3.5X. I haven't measured it myself. The loupes I got are permanently attached to glasses with hard plastic lenses. I do not see a simple way to attach the loupes to my bifocals. I can get a clear focus at about 16" from the object I'm viewing and the focus is pretty good for +/- 3 inches or so. The maginifaction is very good for my application.

The loupes are adjustable so that the lenses can be positioned for binocular view. I was only able to get a good binocular view by holding each loupe in my hands and twisting them to get them to align. I could not maintain this alignment without holding the loupes. If the alignemnt isn't very good, it results in double vision.

I've only been using them for about an hour but by using only one eye I can see well enough to solder small electronic components. If I had bigger forearms and a corn cob pipe, I would look like Popeye.

Besides the optical loupes, this item included a small, padded carrying case, eye shields, a cleaning cloth, a small Phillips and a plastic handle for flipping the loupes up to allow direct vision. Since I require bifocals to see much of anything, I don't see me flipping them up. Maybe it will be possible to permanently fix the loupes in a position that allows binocular vision. They do include a neck strap so for now I think I'll use it and keep my bifocals handy.

For the last couple of years, my soldering process has been to set up my components/wires using my glasses, check with a magnifying glass, solder while wearing my glasses and then check with the magnifying glass. It takes as much time to read as it does to perform BUT I have to do too much resoldering. With the loupes, I think I'll have less resoldering. I'll need to use them for a while to really access their value. If they had an X-ray vision option, I'd recommend them enthusiastically. As it is, I think I'll just say that they have potential.

I use 4X DRUGSTORE glasses and do just fine. If your eyes have about the same value,they will wry just fine for you. I tried a pair of those "dental magnifiers". They focus way out there,and I felt like my hands were not connected to my brain!! Too heavy too,needless to say. I sent them back.

There's only 1 drug store around here that sells 4X reading glasses,but no doubt you could find them online.

If you have seen my work in the Moderators at work section,you will see that I do some very small work. I urge you to try the 4X reading glasses. They are more powerful than those dental glasses you posted,too. And a LOT cheaper!! To heck with the light. Just put a good lamp over your work. Halogen works very well. I really like the clear,sparkly light it gives.

Arlo, can you send a direct link to the ones you purchased?

I found the seller and their products, but I did not find the cheaper ones that say they do come with the light.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odk...46732.m570.l1313&_nkw=3.5X&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Thanks!
Dave

The direct link is http://www.ebay.com/itm/Newest-Dent...927?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d47561f1f

The ones I bought do not come with a light even though one place in the eBay ad says a headlight is included. My workbench is very well lit and I think I'm better off without the attached light with its added weight. The loupes have some heft themselves. As George mentions, an advantage of the magnifying glasses is the reduced weight.

Back