Help figuring out what carbide insert for a grizzly boring bar

ridgeway

Active User
Registered
I just picked up a small Grizzy carbide shank boring bar. Its 5mm and has a min bore of .237" and can't figure out what insert I need for it. I purchased 10 molded (CCMT) from eBay and they are way too large and won't fit. How do I determine the size I need? Not much info on the Grizzly site as to a size. I believe they want you to buy from them. They only come in packs of 10 and I don't need that many, plus they are expensive!

Here is the bar:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Solid-Carbide-Mini-Boring-Bar-5mm-Shank-Right-hand/T10248

t10248-871aff10f1e6994a1daf9019ebd81362.jpg

Here is the inserts I need, but no idea what size I need. All I know, its small!
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Carbide-Inserts-CCGT-for-Steel-and-Cast-Iron-pk-of-10/T10246

t10246-8a1152165310c423d533a0c3a33d2430.jpg
At $118 plus tax, plus shipping is getting up there for something I only need 2-3 of.

If you find the same boring bar listed on the Griz site it will tell what insert the bar takes.
Other option is to measure the inset where the insert goes ( if you don't have an actual insert ) and reference that size in the insert listings to get the right one.

Jim

Thanks for the info. Athough its helpful, i can't seem to find an insert small enough through any of the online carbide vendors. These inserts are tiny! I found a set of grizzly on ebay for $78 shipped. Way cheaper than grizzly, 118 plus tax plus 16 shipping for a total of $144. 1 insert would last me a long time for all i would be using the boring bar for!

They are probably 0.25ID (inscribed diameter). Take the end of a quarter inch drill, and place the insert on top of it. If the circle just touches the edges of the insert, that is a 0.25 ID insert. MSC has a ton. 0.25 ID inserts are the smallest I have seen, though it does look like MSC carries smaller inserts, they are listed under "boring inserts". Principle is the same, use a drill index to figure out what the inscribed diameter is, then you should be able to find what you are looking for.

I think your inscribed circle is 5/32". Will a 5/32 drill bit fill the insert area? Reason behind it is the minimum bore of .237, bar diameter of .197 doesn't give enough room for a 3/16" inscribed circle to my thinking. Also the "03" in the bar number and the insert number from Grizzly points to 5/32".

Dave

I had the same issue with bars I bought from them. I sent them an email and they provided me with the information I needed.

Dave, it is indeed a 5/32".

I went and ordered the Grizzly 10 pack from eBay for $78. Wasn't a bad price for all 10...

Those are indeed very tiny. I have what I thought were very small ones for a 3/8" boring bar, but those inserts are almost twice as big as yours, measuring .252".

Back