help a newbie with a lathe

3strucking

Registered
Registered
I have some 2.50" OD round bar that is 10.75" in length. I need to turn down the first 2.75" on each end enough to fit inside of a piece of 2.500" ID round tube. I cut the bar on my band saw so I know the cut is not perfect. I know that I need to use the tails stock for support since I only have a 1.5" spindle bore. Do I need to put it in a 4 jaw and dial it in before I drill center for tail stock?

What you really need is a steady rest. If that isn't an option true the ends as best as you can on a sander or bench grinder and mark center and center drill on a drill press.

Second option is to bore the 2.75" x 2.50" ID tube enough to provide clearance. When you have a piece of material that is too large to fit through spindle, and both ends are saw cut, wouldn't you have to indicate the part in a 4 or 6 jaw before you start to machine it?

You can just use the 3 jaw, and bump the end into true, center drill it and use your center for support. I avoid the steady if possible, as it creates other issues, and all you're doing is a simple turn on each end. You'll be fine centering a piece with those dimensions. If the chuck is within 5 or 8 you're fine.

You can just use the 3 jaw, and bump the end into true, center drill it and use your center for support. I avoid the steady if possible, as it creates other issues, and all you're doing is a simple turn on each end. You'll be fine centering a piece with those dimensions. If the chuck is within 5 or 8 you're fine.

What he said,
Just take light cuts to face, center drill and then use your tailstock.

2.500 OD into 2.500 ID ? Couldn't you just heat your tube and slide your bar in ? :)

You lost me with that sentence, could you please explain? Thanks, JR49
If the stock next to the chuck is within 8 thousandths, and to bump the far end in to within a couple thou, you're doing great.

I wouldn't even face it off before center drilling. Just apply some friction to the tailstock quill to keep it from being steered by unevenness in the face of the stock.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Just be careful when truing in with a 6 jaw chuck. WE have one and it doesn't turn true. 4 jaw chuck is the best option you have for your project. make sure you use a #4 or #5 center drill because of the size OD you need.

Back