Hello, new member from upstate NY

Welcome Jared. Just across from Up State NY in Brockville.

Please continue to contribute and let us know what you do.

David

Welcome to the forum. You already fit in here. Looking forward to your projects.

Roy

Welcome from a fellow New Yorker. Not too far from the Ithaca area... Dansville, which is south of Rochester about 40 miles.

I strongly suggest looking into some used lathes. I see nice ones on the Rochester Craigslist all the time. You will spend a lot more money on tooling for the lathe than you will the lathe itself. If you're patient you can probably find a used beauty with a lot of tooling included. Lots of good brands, but I would mainly look at the older American built ones like South Bend. Also, LeBlond, Monarch, Hendy, etc., but there seem to be a lot of South Bends around in NY. It's hard to beat some of the older American made gems! I'd take these over most of the new ones, unless you want to spend big money for a sizable machine. Lots of guys love the 9" South Bends. Mine is a 15" and I love it.

Just my two cents,
Ted

Nice builds, and welcome to HM!

I need to finish my foundry. How do you lift the lid/cover on/off?
Or don't you use one?
The foundry I'm finishing assumes two people both able to do a controlled lift on a bar inserted in some hooks on the heavy lid.
Looking for ideas.

Welcome to HM.

Daryl
MN

Welcome Aboard. Nice Work!! Good to see another NY resident here!

Welcome to H-M, Jared. Your work on the furnace and brake projects moved you out of the metalworking novice category... I would agree with a 12x36, and I would also agree with looking for a used lathe as well.

Nice builds, welcome to the site. Little advise never think 12" lathe is to big. I wouldn't advise anything smaller unless your a clock builder or jeweraly dealer. Before the LATHES a year old I bet you wish you went even bigger. Read up on the LATHES you'll find small take small cuts and lack the strength to do some jobs like parting . A good place to learn is YouTube , Mr Pete , Abom, doubleboost @ funny guy ,, oxtool.

Thanks for the advice re: swing size. I've also noticed that the smaller lathes don't have much travel in their compound, cross-slide, or tailstock quill, and I'm thinking that'd be pretty limiting.

I've been watching Mr. Pete and Abom for a while now. I can't understand a word doubleboost says :). Another channel I like is Halligan142. His is the first machinist channel I ever found on YT.

Welcome! I built the Gingery stuff you have plus a couple of other furnaces, the mill and dividing head. His recipe for foundry sand has worked well for me. Be sure to mix well dry so that each grain of sand is coated with clay. Moisture content is then just an experiment. You will learn to squeze a handful and see how it holds together and breaks.

Nice! I bet the mill was a big project! How long did it take you?

My greensand is pretty dry right now, so I'll find something to tumble it in, give it a good mix. Thanks for that tip!

Welcome from a fellow New Yorker. Not too far from the Ithaca area... Dansville, which is south of Rochester about 40 miles.

So many upstate New Yorkers, and so many from the Rochester area! Nice to meet y'all.

I need to finish my foundry. How do you lift the lid/cover on/off?
Or don't you use one?
The foundry I'm finishing assumes two people both able to do a controlled lift on a bar inserted in some hooks on the heavy lid.
Looking for ideas.
MN

Hi Daryl, There is a lid, I'll see if I can find another picture. I also made some lifting tongs so I can safely move my crucible. For pouring tongs (I think it's called a shank?) I use regular fireplace log pliers for now .. probably not the safest, I worry about squeezing the graphite crucible too tightly.

IMG_0908.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 5.23.52 PM.png

tongs2.png

Thanks for the advice re: swing size. I've also noticed that the smaller lathes don't have much travel in their compound, cross-slide, or tailstock quill, and I'm thinking that'd be pretty limiting.

I've been watching Mr. Pete and Abom for a while now. I can't understand a word doubleboost says :). Another channel I like is Halligan142. His is the first machinist channel I ever found on YT.

Nice! I bet the mill was a big project! How long did it take you?

My greensand is pretty dry right now, so I'll find something to tumble it in, give it a good mix. Thanks for that tip!

So many upstate New Yorkers, and so many from the Rochester area! Nice to meet y'all.

Hi Daryl, There is a lid, I'll see if I can find another picture. I also made some lifting tongs so I can safely move my crucible. For pouring tongs (I think it's called a shank?) I use regular fireplace log pliers for now .. probably not the safest, I worry about squeezing the graphite crucible too tightly.

The Gingery mill took most of a winter over 10 years ago.

Hi Jared,
you came to the right place to learn and share information!
nice work on the forge and brake!
you can't go wrong with a 1236, i have a Shenwai and i love it!
welcome aboard

Back