[How do I?] Heavy Rotary Table On Drill Press Table

leeko

Registered
Registered
Hi all,

I have a 1970 powermatic 1150 drill press, and a gorton 8-1/2D mill that sit more or less side-by-side. I have a 10" rotary table that is too heavy and unwieldy to be easily lugged onto the mill when needed. My shop space is very limited (surprise), so I'm wondering if i could leave the rotary on the drill press table semi-permanently, and just swing it over to slide into the mill table as needed?

Or would that likely warp the cast iron of the drill press table or its bracket over time? It's a standard (non-production, non-tilting) table on a 3" column.

I haven't weighed the rotary, but it's likely somewhere between 100 and 150lbs.

Thanks in advance,

Lee

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

The Powermatic drill press probably can handle the weight. It would make the DP top heavy and attempting to swing the RT over to the mill, I think you are looking for an accident to happen in a bad way. I built a small jib crane that is designed big enough to handle about 300 lbs. I have it mounted to the ceiling and floor with a arm on it that reaches out about four foot. Also has a trolley on the arm with a small chain fall mounted. Works out nice handling my 215 lb RT, super spacer, and mill vise.

100_0993.JPG

I need to build something like that, Ken. I have a 300# Dayton electric chain hoist begging to be used. Sure would ease my back.

Ken,

Could you possibly take a picture how it is mounted on the floor? Does the system pivot?

Ken, of course you're absolutely right. I started to see problems with that setup right after i posted the question. Not least of which, it might be a touch difficult to raise and lower the table with that brute on the DP table!

Thanks,

Lee

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Ken,

Could you possibly take a picture how it is mounted on the floor? Does the system pivot?

Here's how it is mounted to the floor and to the ceiling. On the ceiling, there is a steel plate against the ceiling and in the attic, there is a plate on top of the ceiling joist. All secured with all thread bolts with nylock nuts on each end.

100_0995.JPG

100_1000.JPG

Here's how it is mounted to the floor and to the ceiling. On the ceiling, there is a steel plate against the ceiling and in the attic, there is a plate on top of the ceiling joist. All secured with all thread bolts with nylock nuts on each end.

Thank you.

Gives me an idea on how to do one. My bad shoulders just cant handle the heavy pieces any longer.

Bamban,

I'm in the same boat, Rheumatoid Arthritis hit me several years back. Limits me on what I can do and how much weight I can handle. I did have help from my kids, they did the leg work climbing thru the attic to make the connections for the ceiling mount. The pipe I used is 1-1/2" Schedule 40 ERW and a heavy pipe tee that I bored out to slide thru the pipe. I've since changed the pipe tee to flat plates holding the rail on the column.

Back