Heavy 10L Headstock Gits oiler Question

Hi dlane, yes I have the book and felts. The headstock oilers I'm referring to are the ones seen in the pic above. They are still a mystery as to how they are installed. I found an older thread at practical pertaining to this situation, which is a relief as now I know I'm not insane. :encourage: The part no. for Gits oiler is 1204. It is a 5/16 x 32 TPI thread. McMaster no. is 1227K13. Apparently the oiler cup is smaller than original, so hopefully it will install properly. I'll just need to pay closer attention to the reservoir.

Ted, the apron section looks a bit daunting, but I plan on taking my time.

If I remember correctly the oil cup is screwed into a slug that is pressed into the headstock casting at the factory.

How about going straight to the source.

https://www.gitsmfg.com/

I guess that was bum advice. I looked at the site several times, but did not try to order until today. Sorry if I caused anyone to waste time.

On my 16" SB, the head stock oilers are attached by a cast male to female 1/8" pipe extension. Something like this could look nice.

pipe.jpg

Thanks for all your replies. Benmycree, yes the drip system will not work, duh. Thanks for the heads up. My other problem when ordering the oiler cup is which one? It may seem obvious, but I can't figure out how this oiler was installed (see Pic). The headstock casting blocks it.View attachment 276675
I could make or buy a brass extension or purchase a cup with a longer stem. Anyone else run into this problem?

Also, after tearing down the headstock, I noticed staining on the bearing housing and the bearings themselves. Is this a concern? It is not galling or any gouging. It appears to be staining. I don't want to address it until I asked the experts. I just cleaned it up with some kerosene with no effect. View attachment 276676
Could it be staining from sitting for a long period of time? Overheating? The headstock was well lubricated and all the shafts and sleeve bushings are in good order. There was no rust on anything inside the headstock. All the components are in great shape suprisingly.

Thanks again.

Maybe some sort of adhesive for assembly?

Back