Heavy 10 Saddle Gib Clearance Question

opsoff1

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hoping someone can chime in on this - I'm in the reassembly stage of a total rebuild on my 1945 era 10L. The bed, saddle & cross slide were all planed and scraped in. I have had to shim the gearbox, & lead screw bearing unit down to account for the reduction in height. That has gone perfectly - however, I can not find any specification on the required/recommended clearance for the saddle gib. I have had opinions offered that say "loose" is fine as it only prevents the rear of the saddle from lifting - other have said "tight enough" so that there is minimal movement - i.e. just enough to allow the saddle to move along the ways.
What say the experts?

TIA

Looks similar to my 9A UMD, on which I have saddle gib just finger type with some blue Loctite having been applied to the cleaned threads prior to assembly. Thought about making some shims, but decided it was overkill. The saddle would have to lift a fair amount to give a discernible amount of work size difference IMHO.

The larger the work you do, the smaller the clearance you will desire on the saddle gib.
The saddle can lift if you are too loose.
Parting can also suffer if the saddle is loose.
V ways help the situation, but don’t mitigate the problem completely.
.002” clearance is sufficient for the saddle gib

Basically exactly where I ended up.
And thank you for the confirmation.

Last edited:
Back