Heat Treating Chuck Key

it's a novel idea but if you need to heat treat a chuck key , you should give up machining and enter the strong man contests,, you are aware that you can severly screw up a chuck by overtightening , right?

Of all the apprentices I had over the years, and there were a lot of them, the biggest problem I had with ALL of them was over tightening things. And the smaller they were the worse it got.
I am in the do not harden camp. If you start distorting it put down the Wheaties!

John

Yes, I'm aware that over-tightening is bad. Again, I assumed heat treating was a common next step for chuck keys since the ones sold by various vendors appear to be. I'm happy to avoid it.

The key for my 3 jaw worked okay for awhile, but it's too small at .25" and was beginning to slip in the 4 jaw because it wasn't quite big enough. It seems an odd size at .284", but it worked perfectly earlier today.

-Ryan

Ryan-
I expect that you have been thinking unkind thoughts about me.
When I sold you the lathe I thought I had a chuck key for the 4-jaw chuck but couldn't find it. I looked for it a couple of times during the following months. I recently moved and went through everything I own (and I mean EVERYTHING) in detail and here was no extra lathe chuck key.
I am now living in Spain and just beginning to set up machines. I changed the switch and motor wiring in the lathe to 230v and it works fine. I found a small 1 hp motor attached to an unused pump in my new house and put it on the drill press. I still have to buy a couple of switches before that is ready to use.
I do have a couple of transformers but will use them primarily for small tools.
It's good to see you enjoying your machinery.
Jim Hampton

Not all, Jim. I never gave that one thought buying used machinery other than maybe wondering what you had used. The size seems uncommon, and until I had a collet block, my attempt at making a key was somewhat unimpressive combined with a too-soft steel. I think I've resolved both issues.

And thanks for dropping off the Atlas lathe book - I meant to thank you. It's been a very handy thing to have.

Good luck in Spain.

-Ryan

Back