Headstock bearing adjustment

BWS Arms

Registered
Registered
I have the owners manual for my lathe and can find no info on adjusting the rear spindle bearing. It seems to me that if I adjust the tapered roller bearings in the front that should require an adjustment in the rear of the double roller ball bearing. Anyone have any info on the subject?

What lathe do you have?

Yes what lathe is it? Usually there is a single adjustment

Supermax LG1660. It was made in 1997 in Taiwan. I saw a post on PM where a member said they had several in their shop and that they were a authorized copy of a Mazak Mate.

Generally the single adjustment is all that is needed. the rear bearings are set with spacers so tightening only adjusts the tapered front bearing. When I adjust, I mark the position and only move about 1/16-1/8". Run the spindle at high for 10-15 minutes and feel for heat. Warm is good, hot is bad. If the bearing is still cool, you can try a little more adjustment. Ideally you are looking for warm bearings when running. Dave

That's how I adjusted the bearings in my 12x37. I stopped adjusting when the temp settled at 100F after 45 mins of running with a chuck on the spindle.

Back