Have You Used A Taper Attachment?

I can remember using it once or twice this year, but mostly I just use the compound. Sadly when using the compound you can't use power feed or cut threads.

Mine is not removable, just one bolt to tighten and it's up and running. Real convenient.

Both my lathes have one. I don't use them a lot but they do get used and are a lot more accurate than trying to use the compound.

Greg

Sounds like if you need them they're more than handy. For me, just not sure why I miss mine even though I never used it. I guess in case a project came along that needed one. Should have come up with such a project

Sounds like if you need them they're more than handy. For me, just not sure why I miss mine even though I never used it. I guess in case a project came along that needed one. Should have come up with such a project
I have had taper attachments on nearly all my lathes, all except the 9" SB from the 1920s a 16" American, two 19" Regals, and a 30" American, and have used them all frequently; above I read a comment about one, that had lots of backlash; this is called the telescoping type. Wear aside, this is the best type, especially for cutting taper threads, as the cross feed may be pulled out at the end of the thread without unlocking anything. Having said that, the best thing about any taper attachment is that it's weight tends to hold down the rear of the saddle onto the bed ways, countering tool pressure that tends to lift it when taking heavier cuts.

WHAT?! None of you guys turn model cannons? OK, I admit it's the only time I ever used one as neither of my lathes has one either. It is such a pain to try and make a long smooth true taper if the taper is longer than the stroke of the compound. Fortunately that does not happen often but it has happened more than once. Second, a hand feed finish is rarely as nice as a gear fed finish.
Keep the SWARF a fly'en,

WHAT?! None of you guys turn model cannons? OK, I admit it's the only time I ever used one as neither of my lathes has one either. It is such a pain to try and make a long smooth true taper if the taper is longer than the stroke of the compound. Fortunately that does not happen often but it has happened more than once. Second, a hand feed finish is rarely as nice as a gear fed finish.
Keep the SWARF a fly'en,
Turning something as long as a cannon, you can always off-set your tailstock and turn between centers.

I built a taper attachment for my lathe just so I could make a milling arbor with a B&S#9 taper for my Burke mill. That was about a year ago, and it worked fine, but I haven't used it since. I still have plans to make another arbor for smaller mounting diameter cutters....someday.

My bench top didn't come with one but I made one--took 2 tries but it works. Made three MT's with it and they work fine. I live in the boonies so when I need pipe fittings, I usually make them. Beats driving 20 mi to try and find something they might not have.

Back