Have you made any material or metal storage racks?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Hey Guys!

Are you tired of plundering through boxes and tripping over the pile in the middle of the floor?

If so, have you desgned and built any material storage racks for your shop?

Please show some photos of what you built, along with details on how you built it, and what you built it out of!

Thank you!!

Nelson

I don't make big stuff, so all aluminum and steel gets cut to 36" length and shoved into these wood shelf-bins alongside the wall of tool cabinets:
stockstorage01.jpg

12L14 steel gets cut to 24" and stuck on top of tool cabinet under small mill table:
stockstorage02.jpg

There are a few boxes on the wall, dedicated to shorts I've bought off eBay:

stockstorage03.jpg

Harder to see, 1/4" and smaller diameter steel and brass rods are 72" long and steel hang in tubes up by the ceiling lights:
stockstorage04.jpg

Not pictured - since I use brass only for shorter things, I cut all brass rod to 12" long and store it on dedicated bin-shelves over by the door.

Somewere, there was a posting about storing shorts and cutoffs, and the guy had made a rack or box that was filled with lengths of that square plastic eaves trough, which kept a lot of this separated.
The trough was in the box horizontal, and looked like a very good storage system for these items.

At one point, I made a "hanging rack" of PVC pipes to place long slender metal supplies in. It hung by cords from rafters in the basement ceiling.

Best,

Nelson

I haven't decided what I'm going to do in the machine shop yet. But in the welding shop I drilled 1/2 wholes in the studs drove 1/2 round bar in them and put 20ft and smaller stuff on those.

Had steel racks made out of pipe out side but let the scrap man get those.

Paul

Back