Have I gone too big?

One question...

Do you have back gear on your mill?

Our BP is one hp with a one hp VFD on single phase (came that way) and when using smaller shall mill we need to use back gear and go slower but it does work.

If you have a mechanical speed control where slow speed is by gears or belts where torque is increased as speed is reduced then use it.

If variable speed is electronic and not back gear seal it up and trade it as new.

As said it can be used with in the limmits of your mill.

I've used these on various grades of Steel and they always worked well for me. They like to be run with a pretty high feed rate in my experience.

One question...

Do you have back gear on your mill?

Our BP is one hp with a one hp VFD on single phase (came that way) and when using smaller shall mill we need to use back gear and go slower but it does work.

If you have a mechanical speed control where slow speed is by gears or belts where torque is increased as speed is reduced then use it.

If variable speed is electronic and not back gear seal it up and trade it as new.
Yes it is belt driven, My next thread was going to be about fitting a VFD to it ha ha. I think I'll give it a go and if It's too weak or not rigid enough, I could always get a stub arbour and use it on the horizontal spindle. I paid 190 bucks for the shell and 40 inserts so ni biggie if I just save it for wide ally.

Yea, that will never work... might as well just toss it back in that box any ship it to me.

I've read that some guys just pull some inserts out. Looks like a nice cutter, good score
Ha ha, I see you're a carpenter, me too. How many cutters do these guys use? 1 like a fly cutter or as many as the load on the machine will handle?

Yes it is belt driven, My next thread was going to be about fitting a VFD to it ha ha. I think I'll give it a go and if It's too weak or not rigid enough, I could always get a stub arbour and use it on the horizontal spindle. I paid 190 bucks for the shell and 40 inserts so ni biggie if I just save it for wide ally.

You can fit a bigger motor and VFD. 5HP 4 POLE still has plenty of torque at lower rpm.

I run a 6" on my 3/4 hp BP when needed (8 inserts, I think). Light cuts and it works fine.

Chris

Back