Has anyone used a 5mt to 5c nose spindle adapter?

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
i'm contemplating using 5c collets in my lathe and was wondering about the most cost effective and accurate solution.
are the 5mt to 5c collet adapters from grizzly worth a hoot?
i imagine a chuck would be most accurate, but i have a 2 3/8"x8 external taper on the spindle and am concerned about runout.

any suggestions from those reading would be appreciated

I use a 5mt to 5C adapter on my lathe and absolutely love it. I bought one of the grizzly adapters but didn't use it because I found and bought a complete collet closer that included the adapter. The grizzly adapter looked fine though.
regards,
Les

Hi there,
I have been looking for a 5mt to 5C adapter for my collets and looked all over the Grizzly site for the adapter you spoke of. I can't find it anywhere. Do you have a part number for the adapter so I can find it.
Thanks in advance!!!
Merlin123

The grizzly part number is 4026001 It's a replacement part for their collet closer

It is not listed in the catalog, but it does come up in a search

I have seen quite a few on fleabay for a fair price, just saying:thinking:
bill

Just a caution on buying a 5MT to 5C adapter that wasn't originally meant for your machine........
be sure to check the diameter of the 5MT at is max diameter on the taper of the adapter.

I have a Takisawa lathe with a 5MT hole where some adapters 'rattled around' in the hole because they were about 20 thou shy in length on the wide end. Bought two loose ones off eBay before I smartened up. If I remember right the grizzly one was the one that finally worked for me.

i learned to ask for the diameter of the 5MT taper right behind the flange on the wide end.

Last edited:
Its relatively easy to machine(bore) out the surfaces for the inside of a 5c in a thickish piece of pipe. I made one
for 5c and chucked it up in a 4 jaw chuck very accurately and just leave it installed. That way the lathe is always
ready to accept any 5c collet and with the hollow drawbar I made, It will accept long pieces of shafting to be machined.
If I ever want to use that lathe with the 4 jaw, it takes only a few minutes to re-center. It works for me....

Hi there,
I have been looking for a 5mt to 5C adapter for my collets and looked all over the Grizzly site for the adapter you spoke of. I can't find it anywhere. Do you have a part number for the adapter so I can find it.
Thanks in advance!!!
Merlin123

Build one. All the dimensions are readily available; you have a lathe. I've been using one I turned out of mild steel 40 years ago; in the home shop (where it'll be treated kindly) one doesn't need hardened and ground.

there is an l.a. mfg that supplies these adapters for any lathe. my enco needed a #7mt to5c , it fit perfect, I didn't pay until I fit it to my lathe. its called jfk mfg. in the san Fernando valley santa fe street. its been years since I bought mine. my old frejoth lathe needed a #5mt to 5c and I got it at the same place.went with my lathe when I sold it. also made my own 5 c lever operated collet closer could chang parts while machine was still spinning. bill

Back