Has anyone made a

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Has anyone made one of these? How did you fashion it?

Attachments

• img_1781_scaled.jpg
    img_1781_scaled.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Has anyone made a "toe jack" to help move machines?

Firstly, no.

I can imagine there is a "toe" on the far side that would fit under a lift point that is attached to the sliding member on top of the jack. The grooves on each side would hopefully keep things moving vertically. After the lift, you still would need to get skates or something under the machine. Maybe make these in pairs?

I have used a 20 ton toe jack to lift one of Dad's outbuildings. He worked for the railway so he was able to borrow one. It was not hydraulic, just used cam and dog to lift and hold. Also was made of alum to keep the weight down. Easy to control if the load does not shift.

At the shop we just use prybar to lift and insert wood blocks until it is high enough to slip in hand truck forks if under 5 tons or forks of fork lift if above. If machine has bolts then we can screw them down to lift machine. The 3 wire EDMs sit on steel pucks as does the Haas milling center this makes it much easier for the first part of the lift.

Must be a rare item- bidding is over $200 already.

Nelson

2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 8

I have not dug too far into the Houston files but I do check every month or so. Great site.

My Dad has some miniaturized versions of the railroad jacks, both in aluminum and cast iron. IIRC he always referred to them as "step jacks".

The one on Ebay was nice and heavy, but I don't have money for it now, or I would have grabbed it to lift my Van Norman #12 when I getthe base down the basement.

So many needs, so little cash.

Nelson

[author=Allthumbz link=topic=2836.msg19828#msg19828 date=1311684969]

So many needs, so little cash.

I don't have that many needs, but oh so many "wants"!

Back