Has Anyone Heard Of The Zip-cut Vertical Mill

ZIPandGRIZZ

Registered
Registered
WIN_20160129_213255.JPG
Bought this from a guy for a really good deal and today I think it was really a steal considering the rigidness, accuracy, and the compact footprint of the machine, but I would like to learn more about it.
Its called a Zip-Cut made from Waber tool and eng. I think its from the late 50's to mid 60's. When I look it up online I only get there current product that goes by the same name, and that tool is made to drill holes in frame tubing horizontally. No history on this machine can be found online and the original owner, and myself at a later date, called the company and they have not recollection of making this machine. Was it used to train students in a school? was it a small toolroom/ prototype mill like the old Clausings or Rusnoks? or was it just a much bigger, glorified Benchmaster, I dont know. But its stout, American made and extremely accurate. No retractable quill and the head is fixed, so its rigid like a small horizontal mill. Its rare the net has NO info on something so Im sorta lost on getting the dimsion on bearings and spare parts if needed without tearing the thing apart. Runs great as its had minimum run time. the guy that had it used for bout half a year and put it away. I currently converted it to cnc so it work like a small Trax/Partner mill. Any info is greatly appreciated.

WIN_20160129_212742 (2).JPG WIN_20160129_213332.JPG

Last edited:
This is during the conversion. Works now great but im still waiting on new ball screws to complete it, along with inclosing the stepper mounts and installing some way bellows. During the ballscrew install I think im going to give it a fresh coat of paint. Also, any advice or insight on how I can add a one-shot way lubrication system to this thing. Do I have do anything to the ways or can I just drill and tap for the fittings in the appropriate spot and install? thanks. IMAG0016.jpg

Looks like a very well built machine. Would probably sell like hotcakes if made today. Nice job on the conversion. What is your max spindle speed? Mike

Welcome to the site!

I have never seen or heard of this manufacturer or machine.
Nothing shows up at the usual places (vintage machinery and lathes.co.uk).
It does look sturdy.

After your conversion you definitely have a one-of-a-kind mill.
It looks great.

-brino

Looks like you were at the right place at the right time. Nice mill by the pics.
Martin W

Thanks fellas, I like her alot. Defiantly was a good find I think. The first place I looked was lathes.co.uk and was surprised nothing on it existed. The spindle speed, based on calculations from the ratio and the motor rpm readout on the VFD, is about 3588rpm. I don't know if the bearings can take it so I try to keep it at about max 2000rpm. when I tear into it im gonna try o find some high speed bearings of good quality.

Now that is the way a mini mill should be made especially the Z axis. I suppose one could change the motor to a brushless DC motor.

Hi Zip!
I know its a little late to the game considering the last post was in June, but I think I just found your mill's brother! I just recently acquired a Zip-Cut of my own at an estate sale here in Kalamazoo. I'll be creating a separate thread for my rebuild and if you have any questions about feel free to ask. Unfortunately I too was unable to find any documentation for it, but it looks to be a great little mill!

IMG_20161217_094912.jpg

Back