Has anyone converted your machines to CNC?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Hi,

I don't know if this should go into a new forum or not, but have any of you converted your manual equipment (mills, lathes, etc), to CNC?

If you were not CNC literate, what were the FIRST STEPS you took to educate yourself?

(Photos always great!)

Thanks,

Nelson

David Utidjian,
What kind of new CNC are you talking about, as I have 2 Sherlines, one mill and one lathe both CNC. I also have a South bend lathe which is manual.
Paul

The main issue as I see it is the lack of ball screws.

Nelson link=topic=2497.msg16872#msg16872 date=1308676619 said:
Hi,
I don't know if this should go into a new forum or not, but have any of you converted your manual equipment (mills, lathes, etc), to CNC?
If you were not CNC literate, what were the FIRST STEPS you took to educate yourself?
(Photos always great!)

Thanks,
Nelson

Hey Nelson,

Any CNC classes available at your local community collage?

I'm currently enrolled at Suffolk Community Collage for a FREE class this summer
called "CNC Lathe G-Code".

We're using Haas simulators to run basic G-Code lathe programs, no CAD/CAM, it's hand written programs.
They have a new shop building at their Brentwood campus that is just packed with all sorts of brand new Haas CNCs. It's tool heaven, but they won't let us touch anything as of yet;-(

The class is totally FREE to anyone because of some kind of NYS Labor Dept grant program.
It's being held for 5- Saturdays, from 8:30 to 2:30, started on June 11th. I've been to two sessions so far, and it's pretty interesting, even though I already know how to G-code, I own two AW-100 CNC gang-tool lathes and a Haas CNC Toolroom Mill. I signed up for this class just for the fun (sick right?).

Maybe they have similar program in Nassau or Queens?

If you want to talk about CNC just shout. I learned to CNC machine by buying a $40K lathe and making a lot of scrap with it ;-).

A lathe CNC conversion I'd consider production-quality is something like the OmniTurn conversions on the Hardinge HLV-Hs. Big bucks for a hobby machine.

G'luck
PaulS

Last edited by a moderator:
Back