Has anybody purchased this dro?

Here is my reply to Alloy asking the same question in a different post:

Alloy,

Yes, I have that exact 4 axis DRO on my Birmingham mill. It's all Tpack says it is and has performed flawlessly. Like any other DRO you're going to have to fab some of your own brackets as well as the chip shield for the Z, but not a biggie really. My machinist buddy laughs at me but I really dig the calculator function. I use it ALL THE TIME! It has all the bells and whistles of the high dollar units and in the hands of a capable operator (not so much me yet) it will do it all. I've mic'd and measured by digital calipers and the numbers are spot on. I believe that coincides with attention to detail on initial installation.

I can highly recommend this product and supplier by personal experience.

Almost forgot; when I first purchased my unit the "K" scale and reader was on backorder and wasn't expected for several months. I didn't throw a hissy or anything and a few days later, it shows up, he'd gotten it from a competitor (different brand markings, same thing) in order to take care of me. After he'd credited me for having not received it. When he saw it had been signed for, he rebilled.

Could not be more pleased.

Hope that helps.

I just purchased this DRO on the recommendation of everyone here and it came in about a week ago. I'm pretty impressed by the quality of a $600 unit. I did find my chip gaurd for K axis slightly bent, but it's usable.

I've almost finished with cleaning and painting my mill and I'm going to temporarily run power to it where it sits in the middle of my garage then and work on installing the DRO. I won't have much room to work on it when I put it back against me the wall so this way I will have 360 degree access to it.

I will post pics of the installation and hopefully they will help someone else down the road. You can find my thread in the BP forum.

I also purchased the Electronica EL400 kit from DRO pros. In my case I only bought the X and Y axis scales. I've used various milling machines over the last 30 years and never did enough Quill or Z axis work to warrant a digital readout. The nice thing is the reader head is capable of linking to 2 more scales if I ever find the need to do it. The price for a kit with 4 axis capability, but only 2 scales was less than $900.00. I've had it on a Bridgeport for going on 3 years and as of yet haven't seen the need for the additional scales.

Back