Harrison L5 Lathe Restoration

That's one of my dream LATHES , that and a nice old monarch. Both about the same prices nice looking green Harrison in Baltimore md. On craigslist

Still watching! looking good, I would go for a Harrison if I didn't have the Colchester! Remeber that you can always replace worn parts at a later date, when and as you can afford, good luck with it all!
Phil
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping.. parts can arrive down the road when I have some free money! I built a parts washer last weekend, wow I couldn't do without it now I don't know how I washed all these pieces on the ground with a bucket

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

What a great project and a fantastic lathe ... I too am building slowly but surely a wee workshop on a very tight budget . I have myself an old 12" x 24" Fortis/clausing 4800 lathe from early 50's and a Centec 2 horizontal mill from the late 40's both machine cost me around £150 . The Centec 2 has had a full restore ,where as the Fortis is on going .

Keep up the great thread and good luck finding a compound (will keep an eye open for you)

Sean

What a great project and a fantastic lathe ... I too am building slowly but surely a wee workshop on a very tight budget . I have myself an old 12" x 24" Fortis/clausing 4800 lathe from early 50's and a Centec 2 horizontal mill from the late 40's both machine cost me around £150 . The Centec 2 has had a full restore ,where as the Fortis is on going .

Keep up the great thread and good luck finding a compound (will keep an eye open for you)

Sean
Nice one! I'm keeping a look.out for a decent milling machine, can't wait till I have one!

It's alot of work doing this stuff! I'm putting it back together at the moment I'm. Having issues with the gap it just won't sit flat I have tried shimming it but can't get it to sit right, I also found a friend who will machine the cross slide dove tails for me and help with the taper turning attachment, and I brought a 460x660 surface plate so now I need to buy all the associated surface plate tooling and try scrape a straight edge .

You have done a great job - all the problems you had with that lathe, and you overcame them one at a time and now shes a beauty. Congrats..!
The best part is you were capable of doing repairs on the damaged parts to bring them back to life... that so awesome.

You have done a great job - all the problems you had with that lathe, and you overcame them one at a time and now shes a beauty. Congrats..!
The best part is you were capable of doing repairs on the damaged parts to bring them back to life... that so awesome.
Thanks, it's been a great learning curve.

Before I started this project I had zero hands on lathe experience, fast foward a year and a bit and the harrison has 3 other lathe friends! Watch out, it's a slippery slope.

now need a milling machine and I'm not going to go "small" I want a horizontal mill with a vertical head, big and beefy, I also will inspect everything properly so I don't buy another lemon!
Good luck with ur build PM me if you need anything and I'll try to help.

Opening an ancient thread again - Excellent work. The white paint is certainly a far cry from the luminous colours before!

I have a 1958 Harrison L5 and it's largely in beautiful condition. I would like to remove the gearbox from the headstock and clean it all up inside as I suspect it's rather like yours looked before restoration - what needs to come off in what order to get this off the machine? There's definitely a greasy slurry of chips and swarf and grease in there.

Well its been a few years but i FINALLY got this old girl to life i have a few things to sort but just happy to be making chips

Thought i should update

Attachments

• 15777529312582566165543104742117.jpg
    15777529312582566165543104742117.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 28
Opening an ancient thread again - Excellent work. The white paint is certainly a far cry from the luminous colours before!

I have a 1958 Harrison L5 and it's largely in beautiful condition. I would like to remove the gearbox from the headstock and clean it all up inside as I suspect it's rather like yours looked before restoration - what needs to come off in what order to get this off the machine? There's definitely a greasy slurry of chips and swarf and grease in there.
From memory, the rear belt guards come off then all the gears and shafts in headstock and upbolt the big bolts to the bed and lift it off.. sorry not very detailed but it has been quite awhile.

That is looking very nice indeed. I've since pulled mine apart and cleaned everything down and greased/oiled everything that needs grease or oil, currently in the process of checking just how accurate it is before I decide whether or not to strip it completely and restore it.

It's a real shame that Photobucket decided to change their terms and hold all your photos hostage, I see it on many useful forum posts these days where all the pictures have been locked by photobucket until the original poster pays them!

Back