• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Harrison L5 Lathe Restoration

Laytonnz

Slow going as usual but this is where im at,

im getting around 0.005MM run out from the spindle i think?

unfortunately i crushed my dial indicator with a V8 flywheel i was machining for the neighbor, broke the bezel and squished the indicator body.

The new bearings are in, made new pins for clutch, welded some holes up in chip pan...

Working on clutch, im having issues with it slipping, im missing something or its too oily or... im not sure yet but i will figure it out!

hermetic

Active User
Can't wait to see the video of it up and running, keep up the good work! My week so far has been lawnmowers and garden tractors, and it's raining cats and dogs!

Laytonnz

So we have made progress

I'm working on the taper turning attachment it was cracked and broken so I milled the broken piece out and will bolt some more cast iron in there, i may mill the whole slot and replace the lot as it's worn

Made a motor mount and brazed one of the mounts up, put a few coats of paint on the bed masked and primed most of the other stuff got 3 new gates belts I still have a bench full of lathe. ...! Some pictures are from a few weeks ago progress is slow as usual but it's progress, if anybody has a compound for one of these machine please send me a PM as mine is toast.

Also anybody in NZ want to do some milling and grinding on the cross slide?

Tell ya what I'm looking forward to the end!!

also i got the clutch working, i had the stack wrong + the bushing i made was too short, i copyd the original but it must have been really worn so i solderd a bronze extension on.. seems to work fine. i dont fancy making a new bushing it took ages to make and it was a big chuck of bronze.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

hermetic

Active User
Still watching! looking good, I would go for a Harrison if I didn't have the Colchester! Remeber that you can always replace worn parts at a later date, when and as you can afford, good luck with it all!
Phil

Silverbullet

That's one of my dream LATHES , that and a nice old monarch. Both about the same prices nice looking green Harrison in Baltimore md. On craigslist

Laytonnz

Still watching! looking good, I would go for a Harrison if I didn't have the Colchester! Remeber that you can always replace worn parts at a later date, when and as you can afford, good luck with it all!
Phil
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping.. parts can arrive down the road when I have some free money! I built a parts washer last weekend, wow I couldn't do without it now I don't know how I washed all these pieces on the ground with a bucket

Fortis64

What a great project and a fantastic lathe ... I too am building slowly but surely a wee workshop on a very tight budget . I have myself an old 12" x 24" Fortis/clausing 4800 lathe from early 50's and a Centec 2 horizontal mill from the late 40's both machine cost me around £150 . The Centec 2 has had a full restore ,where as the Fortis is on going .

Keep up the great thread and good luck finding a compound (will keep an eye open for you)

Sean

Laytonnz

What a great project and a fantastic lathe ... I too am building slowly but surely a wee workshop on a very tight budget . I have myself an old 12" x 24" Fortis/clausing 4800 lathe from early 50's and a Centec 2 horizontal mill from the late 40's both machine cost me around £150 . The Centec 2 has had a full restore ,where as the Fortis is on going .

Keep up the great thread and good luck finding a compound (will keep an eye open for you)

Sean
Nice one! I'm keeping a look.out for a decent milling machine, can't wait till I have one!

It's alot of work doing this stuff! I'm putting it back together at the moment I'm. Having issues with the gap it just won't sit flat I have tried shimming it but can't get it to sit right, I also found a friend who will machine the cross slide dove tails for me and help with the taper turning attachment, and I brought a 460x660 surface plate so now I need to buy all the associated surface plate tooling and try scrape a straight edge .

Mr Mike

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
You have done a great job - all the problems you had with that lathe, and you overcame them one at a time and now shes a beauty. Congrats..!
The best part is you were capable of doing repairs on the damaged parts to bring them back to life... that so awesome.

Laytonnz

You have done a great job - all the problems you had with that lathe, and you overcame them one at a time and now shes a beauty. Congrats..!
The best part is you were capable of doing repairs on the damaged parts to bring them back to life... that so awesome.
Thanks, it's been a great learning curve.

Before I started this project I had zero hands on lathe experience, fast foward a year and a bit and the harrison has 3 other lathe friends! Watch out, it's a slippery slope.

now need a milling machine and I'm not going to go "small" I want a horizontal mill with a vertical head, big and beefy, I also will inspect everything properly so I don't buy another lemon!
Good luck with ur build PM me if you need anything and I'll try to help.

Container Above bottom breadcrumb