Harold Hall's Lining Tool

Flightmap

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Has anyone built his lining tool? I want to build his design, and thought before I start, I would ask if anyone converted his metric drawings to imperial (inches) measurement.

Also is there any tips from those who have built it

FYI I think this is a classic design and tool. Just like most of his offers.

I have built his basic dividing head and the advanced grinding rest, making small changes as I went along. All of his projects are well thought out and the plans/drawings are well documented. The lining tool will be a useful project. The conversion from metric to imperial was a concern to me at first, but it became a fun project as I learned to convert the metric system to imperial. I did the conversions beforehand and rounded them to the closest imperial size making adjustments as I went along. I think you will enjoy the challenge; I know I did. :encourage:

I use an app on my Phone called " machining mate" for all conversions. It is free

I have built his basic dividing head and the advanced grinding rest, making small changes as I went along. All of his projects are well thought out and the plans/drawings are well documented. The lining tool will be a useful project. The conversion from metric to imperial was a concern to me at first, but it became a fun project as I learned to convert the metric system to imperial. I did the conversions beforehand and rounded them to the closest imperial size making adjustments as I went along. I think you will enjoy the challenge; I know I did. :encourage:

Would you be willing to share your conversion drawings? I need to modify the mounting plates for my size lathe, but the box or frame should be just as he designed. I just don't "trust" the fit of the parts to my decimal conversion.

Back