Hardinge TM horizontal mill questions

dbassing

Registered
Registered
Hello all, I am looking for information on a TM that is for sale in my area ( Northern California). There is no model number but from the pics it appears to be a TM. What are some of the things that I should be aware of when looking at it. It has an overarm support with the (1"?) arbor and spacers, coolant pump, power x-axis. My research says that the spindle takes 5C collets. Is this correct? Weight? Is it like most Hardinge made machines, i.e. high quality precision machines?
Thanks for any information.
David

The Hardinge mills are every bit as good as the Hardinge lathes, so initial quality would be great, but later in its life you could run into anything. As for weight, you could probably expect somewhere around 800 or 900 pounds for the whole machine. I cannot say what size collets the spindle takes as I do not know.

Second what Terry said. These are very nice machines. Not as robust as the Bridgeport and BP clones, but very well made when new, fully capable of removing a lot of metal. A real quality instrument. The one on San Francisco CL has a nice, easy price tag. If it were me, I'd be very interested for $500 or less. The last one around here sold for over $1500. also, I believe you are correct, that they use 5C collets. Very inexpensive to buy or replace if need be. Around $5/each in eBay.

Therese machines don't come up often in the PNW - almost never actually. So they are either a bit rare, or nobody wants to let go of them. Here is one priced in the stratosphere, but apparently fully equipped with vertical head and overarm support, and in very nice condition. Something to compare with anyway.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/tls/d/hardinge-tm-um-horizontal/6245459367.html

Make sure the one you are looking has the proper overarm support to support the arbor. An overarm support is critical to support the arbor for most horizontal milling operations. Not sure, but I think Hardinage called their machines 'universal TM' when they sold the, with the vertical head - making them either horizontal or vertical capable. Maybe one of the hardinage owners can clarify. An assortment of cutters would be gravy if you do buy the machine.

Glenn

Last edited:
I saw that one this morning, he claims it's virtually unused and it looks good. I think it has the desirable swiveling table, and he even says
he can deliver for a fee. Strange aqua color, has to be a repaint. 3 phase. Too bad the X crank is on the left side. Great for a lefty, but not a righty.
Mark

Thanks all for the helpful advice. I hope to go see this machine on Friday. I'll take pics and share with everyone if there is something interesting to see.
David

No. I was tempted but it needed a lot of work and the price was a bit too high.

No. I was tempted but it needed a lot of work and the price was a bit too high.

For what it's worth.
I paid $2700 for a TM early 2017.
It had all the overarm bits and a 1" Hardinge arbor with nut and spacers.
8 5C collets
Original motor and motor switches.
Cheap China power feed for the table.
A nice vise.
A Rusnok vertical head

I added A Hardinge vertical head. ($650)

All I did was add power and make chips.

Back