Hardinge Horizontal Mill on craigslist

gte718p

Registered
Registered
This little mill showed up on Craigslist today. I don't know if it is a good deal or not. Not a lot of information other then it is $800. I've been looking for small mill for years.
3E73I53Nc5Ia5Nf5M1d5f176d3c379fd01bc6.jpg

Unfortunately I know nothing about horizontal mills, I've only used vertical, but I am willing to learn.

3E73I53Nc5Ia5Nf5M1d5f176d3c379fd01bc6.jpg

I think when you reach the $800 level, on a limited use tool, it's time to start considering a vertical mill that can do both horizontal and vertical. Just my opinion:tiphat:

Those are AWSOME. Hardinge BB4. I have used these. Beautiful.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/cataract miller/index.html

Takes 5C collets if i am correct, so loads of accessories for it. You would find out what comes with it. More heavy duty than anything as small as it is, as far as I know.

That vice is ridiculous, as the original was smaller. Only issue is it looks pretty used, but no way to really know unless you go see it in person.

It needs to be powered from below. Really nice, but I don't see a motor here.
This really depends on what they include in the auction.

Definitely go see it! If you are looking for a small mill, it is perfect!

Bernie

I'm definately going to go look at it. I'm not framiliar with the brand. Any particular things I need to look for? $800 seems a little steep, especially without a motor, however I know from experiance small machines command a premium. Any idea what fair/market price should be?

It's also listed on ebay with a little more info.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hardinge-BB...793?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f25362011

I bought a horizontal about a year ago. I wasn't sure I'd use it that much, but I use it all the time now. I think they are definitely worth it for the right price.

Hard to find them for sale around here though. May want to check the Richmond craigslist too. A few month back there was a guy up there selling stuff for good prices but I havn't checked it lately.

First of all, he has it on EBay too. More pics of it. It looks like it has a motor beneath- I see the pulley. Serial no 17-16571 for what it's worth.

It must come with the bench. You can mount it your own spray, but keep the under drive that is there. It has some cutters and collets too.

Just make sure he throws everything in that belongs with it. See if you can get as many collets as he has for it. Looks like he sells other machines too.

Bernie

That looks for all the world like a 1950s washing-machine motor. Those are normally not reversible. I don't see the mechanism for the forward-reverse and speed levers on the column. Are they even connected? The table seems rather cumbersome for what's left on it now. Making a smaller stand and a new underdrive could become a real project.

Back