Hardinge Hlv (early Model - Ca 1950 - S/n 102) Restoration

I have a 1964 HLVH. A lot of the parts on an HLV are interchangeable with the HLVH. I got new belts for mine,and cleaned the sticky crud off of the variable diameter pulleys. The lathe now runs so smooth that I can set a penny atop the headstock,run the lathe through its speeds,and reverse it without the penny falling over.

There's a guy selling castings for the steady rest of both wide and narrow bed Hardinges. I just got mine. Cost in all about $138.00. He sells castings for the taper attachment,too. I have a factory installed DRO on mine,which I never use. It covers part of the "T" slot where the taper attachment goes. I'm a mind to remove the DRO so I can use a taper attachment made from this guy's castings. I hate to remove the DRO,though,so am in a quandry.

If you want to know where to go to get the castings,email me at: georgedwilson@verizon.net. The castings look just fine .he steady rest is HEAVY,HEAVY,HEAVY. And,I THINK the originals were aluminum,but not sure. One I handled years ago was aluminum.

A final reply to my thread: I've hit upon some hard times, and the project has completely stopped.

I have listed both the lathe and my bridgeport (ca 1957) 2J mill for sale in the members' sale forum on this thread.

If y'all know anyone who would give these wonderful pieces of machinery a good home (and my family some temporary piece of mind), please do let me know. I'd be happy to donate 5% of the sale of the machines to the forum, as the "for sale" fora stipulates.

Many kind thanks for all the words of encouragement and support of this project while I was able to maintain it!

Thanks!
Mike

Back