Hardinge Bb4 Restoration

Thanks Billy. I got a really good deal on it, so I couldn't pass it up. If anyone reading this happens to know of a good dividing head that will work with this little guy, I would be interested to know where to pick one up. I have a L-W chuck dividing head with a 6" chuck, but I think it may be a bit too large...

They sell used Hardinge mills at wallmart now?
I finally got a reason to go there. ;)
-brino

but seriously, I am looking forward to another wonderful restoration from you. I can hardly wait for more. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
Haha...I wish they did, unfortunately there is very little US made stuff in there. I wasn't comfortable with the straps I had kicking around in my floorboards, so I picked up a couple of new ones to hold this thing down.

Good pictures, good documentation, looking forward to a "new" mill.

Tom

hardinge mills are really cool,
i look forward to the progression!:D

Gonna be a sweet mill.
Keep the documentation coming!

I definitely will. I'm afraid work has been keeping me late the last few days, so progress has been halted. Hopefully I can get back to it today!

Ok, made some progress. I decided to do the oven cleaner method of stripping the grease and old paint off. I have to say that I'm very impressed with how effective that stuff was. I got the majority of the gunk and paint off. I will begin sanding tomorrow, and hopefully primer by this weekend.20150826_191705.jpg
20150826_191712.jpg
20150826_191722.jpg

Lookin' good Steve. Those are little jewels, very well put together.
Are you going to pull the spindle to install belts, or go with link-belts?

I'm thinking link belts. The spindle feels great, so I don't want to take it apart unless I find that I need to.

Back